Wild mushrooms?

Meesh

Location (City and/or State)
BRUNSWICK
Herman & I live out in the middle of nowhere so he loves to take me on walks in the woods.. Watching him explore/smell/climb/taste the different things he would in the wild is too cute but seeing how they're not native to the United states, Is there anyth I should keep him away from besides the obv snakes, poisonous spiders, etc.. ? He wants to explore everything! But he keeps trying to eat wild mushrooms. I let him have the white mushrooms bc theyre safe, but should he be eating them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Herman & I live out in the middle of nowhere so he loves to take me on walks in the woods.. Watching him explore/smell/climb/taste the different things he would in the wild is too cute but seeing how they're not native to the United states, Is there anyth I should keep him away from besides the obv snakes, poisonous spiders, etc.. ? He wants to explore everything! But he keeps trying to eat wild mushrooms. I let him have the white mushrooms bc theyre safe, but should he be eating them?
Some mushrooms are deadly toxic. Others that look almost identical are totally harmless. Even mycologists have a tough time IDing them sometimes. I would never let an animal that I cared about eat a wild mushroom even if I took the time to positively ID it. We have little white/tan mushrooms that pop up in my yard every spring for a few weeks. I go around and remove them every morning before the dogs get let out. Once I missed one and of course one of my stupid 80 pound dogs ate it. He went into convulsions and lost muscle control for about three days, but survived it. Same dog got cancer and died at 8 years old. His littermate brother lived to 13.5 and had to be euthanized because he couldn't walk or stand anymore. I don't think the mushroom had anything to do with the cancer. I was just rambling.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Some mushrooms are deadly toxic. Others that look almost identical are totally harmless. Even mycologists have a tough time IDing them sometimes. I would never let an animal that I cared about eat a wild mushroom even if I took the time to positively ID it. We have little white/tan mushrooms that pop up in my yard every spring for a few weeks. I go around and remove them every morning before the dogs get let out. Once I missed one and of course one of my stupid 80 pound dogs ate it. He went into convulsions and lost muscle control for about three days, but survived it. Same dog got cancer and died at 8 years old. His littermate brother lived to 13.5 and had to be euthanized because he couldn't walk or stand anymore. I don't think the mushroom had anything to do with the cancer. I was just rambling.
My dad was big on just about any mushroom that grows in your yard is poisonous. It has served me well. I'm still alive yrs later. You're not rambling, Tom.