Will this hold my dog out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
View attachment 43294I have finished the cage but seems my dog just will not leave tank alone inside the cage. Constantly walks around it sometimes scratches at the cage. Anyway to train the dog into not touching he cage?

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The wire should hold, but add more screws and washers. Can he dig under?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ya I thought about the electric fence but honestly this dog still won't learn most likely. Stupid question on my part. He can't dig under its rock so should be ok

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't think it was a stupid question. It's a legitimate solution for most dogs. Some might not get the hint, but I would think that most do. It's sort of like the an exposed version of the invisible fence containment systems used to keep dogs within a certain area.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Electric fence is going to be your best bet or one of those electronic fences, even tho they are more expensive

Life is good

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Not sure what a hot line is? Ya your right it would likely work but you should see my dog this wasn't does not learn lol

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
if he doesnt like water just sit out their when you can and spray him with the hose and put a high pressure nossal on it. keep repeating and he will get the point, dogs are smart

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
tyguy35 said:
Not sure what a hot line is? Ya your right it would likely work but you should see my dog this wasn't does not learn lol

A hot line is typically used to keep livestock from going through fences where the use of barbed wire is not appropriate, like with horses. A controlled current is ran in a thin wire that is insulated not to short out. The charging unit is housed in a building with a power source and grounded. When contact is made with the live wire and something not insulated, in this case a dog, the dog completes the circuit creating a shock. This is very effective with dogs and wild life that may think your tortoise is good to dine on. There is plastic ribbon available that you attach to the wire as a visual marker to give a reference point for the animal where not to put their head. Trust me, they work fantastic. Ultimately, you can unplug the unit from the power source and your dog will still avoid it. You then can make fake hot lines with the wire and tape to keep your dog out of your flower beds.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would do the hot line or electric fence, or.........

I would put a another fencing around the outside of the enclosure, with a gate for you to walk through to keep the dog back. He is too close and too interested, like a good dog!

You could also make a wire fence with several feet difference from the tortoise enclosure and your fence.

We are installing a fence around fenced tortoise enclosures for extra security. It can be more simple.

See attached.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
kathyth said:
I would do the hot line or electric fence, or.........

I would put a another fencing around the outside of the enclosure, with a gate for you to walk through to keep the dog back. He is too close and too interested, like a good dog!

You could also make a wire fence with several feet difference from the tortoise enclosure and your fence.

We are installing a fence around fenced tortoise enclosures for extra security. It can be more simple.

See attached.

I like these ideas, as opposed to shocking the dog.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Every dog can be trained. It won't take long, but you must be 100% consistent and you don't have to buy any fencing or shocking devices to do it. A few questions. Does your dog hate loud noises? Does he hate to be sprayed with water? Does he know the difference in your voice from normal to oh crap I'm in trouble? If the answer to any of these is yes, then which ever one he does not like, or if its the voice, then every time he looks at your tort or enclosure, gets within so many feet (you pick how many feet) of the tort or enclosure, you either make the noise, spray the water or give the voice. Do this every time, every time he looks in that direction or gets close and in less then a month he will not even look in the way of the tort or his enclosure. The hardest part in training a dog, is not the dog, it's the owner. So, be 100% consistent. If you are, I can just about guarantee it will work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your dog is not stupid. What you need is a competent professional trainer to come work with you and your dog. You can use the same techniques that are used to teach dogs rattlesnake avoidance. I don't recommend you try this without experienced professional help. It's not hard, but it does involve good timing and reading the dog properly. I've taught this to many dogs. They think the tortoise somehow "bit" them and so they avoid any tortoise they encounter ever again. I still wouldn't leave the tortoise uncovered and unsupervised with a dog, just as I wouldn't test my dogs rattlesnake avoidance training with a real live rattler in the field.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Never leave your dog in the same space as your tort...simple as that.

I have a head strong dog here who endured all kind of harsh treatment before she landed here as her permanent home....and while you can condition your dog to behave according to your behavior there are truly some dogs that will forever be opportunists and there will be that one time you slack--- and that is all that is needed....opportunity.

My suggestion, never trust your dog to be alone with the tort in the yard....ever.

If you have to re define your yard to make two specific yards (part tort yard and part dog yard) then this is what I have done and would suggest for you....well, that is what I would suggest for any who house canine and tort....

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
AustinASU said:
:) what cowboy ken says get a hot wire, not for dogs but for cattle....:)

My dog, who seems to like getting sprayed by skunks, knows what a hotline is. It's not corporeal punishment, it's now you know better punishment. But, as Tom pointed out, this does nothing to stop your dog from chewing on a tortoise, just teaches them to stay away from the wire. Aversion verses training.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there a way you can cover the sides of the enclosure, perhaps with some decorative landscaping? This way, if the dog can't see the tort, he'd stop looking.

Jd3

5 Year Member
It seems the dog has trained you...

A hot line or shock collar WILL work if used consistently. A few harmless shocks and they know. My dog is smart enough to know when he doesn't have his collar on and goes bolting for the "fence" line. We use a wireless no cable system. You could use one of these place in the cage to create a "force field" boundary surrounding the cage. My dog has a dummy collar for when his is charging. We also have electric collars we use for field work and hunting.

Or an In ground just surrounding the cage if you don't have anything you need to protect or to protect your dog from

The other and probably better option is a rigid dog proof fence to section off the yard. Getting the tort out of sight would help too. Now there is a fence but he can see him moving around in there.... Like a cat with a fish tank. Eventually they take the plunge or at least paw the water.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Don't get a shock fence unless you have to. Always try to train them first.

Leave it is a good command to use. My dogs started out learning to leave the treats in my hand alone, now all I have to say is leave it and whatever they are so interested in, they will leave alone. A good thing to always do is supervise your dog. Your pup probably has breeds with high prey drives in it.

When teaching leave it, Hold a treat in your hand, and close your hand. Wait until the dog stops licking, nibbling etc at your hand. say leave it then reward. Slowly work on being able to have your hand open. Slowly work onto telling your dog to leave it when near objects. Have him play with something then say leave it. When they drop it, then you can give them a treat.

Soon you can associate this with your tortoise enclosure. When your pup gets excited with your smelly little tortoise, say leave it, and if they do not turn their attention away, stand in front of your dog. When they can't see the tortoise, they will pay attention to you. Then you can throw a toy to distract them. So if they leave the tortoise alone, they get play time.

Again, this is a good trick to have around the house in general. But I wouldn't leave the dog in the yard without supervision when the tort is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.