Willow Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I wanted to plant a willow tree and I have heard of people feeding willow leaves to tortoises.

Which is edible Willow Acacia (Acacia salicina) or Desert Willow(Chilopsis linearis)?

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to have a very large weeping willow next to my pond. My aldabran pen is next door to the pond and the willow branches would hang down into their pen. I would see them standing up on tippy toe to grasp the swinging, trailing branches of willow so they could eat them. I believe its called salix babylonica.

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
thanks Yvonne

does anyone know if Willow Acacia (Acacia salicina) or Desert Willow(Chilopsis linearis) are ok for tortoises?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Neither of these plants are true willows (Salix sp.) or remotely related to them. The Willow Acacai is an Australian plant that used by native people as a fish toxin and from what the USDA plant list says about Desert Willow is that it has minimal value as a forage plant.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Itort said:
Neither of these plants are true willows (Salix sp.) or remotely related to them. The Willow Acacai is an Australian plant that used by native people as a fish toxin and from what the USDA plant list says about Desert Willow is that it has minimal value as a forage plant.

Thanks Larry.

I read about the Willow Acacai and it said they are used as fodder, but didn't state much about the nutrional value.

I plan to plant a Desert Willow anyhow, but not near the tortoise pen. I was wondering if I could feed the leaves to my tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.