Win Some Lose Some

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Interesting evening at the Butler homestead.

Tonight as we were preparing an area for our fall garden I discovered a spot that looked like a tortoise nest. Started digging it up and sure enough, found some eggs. This nest would have been at least a year old and one I knew I missed, but never was able to find it. It was in a very dry area, completely exposed to all day direct sunlight. I thought for sure the eggs would be cooked and didn't expect to find any life. Started digging around a bit more and was shocked to find a hatched tortoise! I thought it would have been dead, but I examined it and was double shocked to see it start moving.

I ended up finding 5 hatched tortoises, 3 unhatched eggs and 2 cracked eggs with underdeveloped hatchlings. One of the 5 tortoises was deceased, but freshly so. Perhaps if I had done this little project last week end like I had originally hoped, it might have turned out different. So that's the "lose some" bit for this evening.

The remaining 4 are not in great shape, but moving around quite well. It was incredibly hot in that nest, and who knows how long they were out. They have almost no pigment on their skin and they look a bit emaciated.

Gave them a LONG soak, which they seemed to appreciate.

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

The evening wasn't done.

I did purposely leave on of our nests in the ground last year (ran out of room in the incubators). This nest was laid in our lawn, which is kept moist by the sprinklers, and it was also underneath a large mature mesquite tree, so I had no worries about leaving it in the ground. After finding the first nest, we thought it would be a good time to dig up this one, so we went at it.

Dug up 8 live babies and didn't find any unhatched eggs or deceased babies.

IMG_0664.JPG

A few still have a bit of a yolk sack, but all are very robust and the colors are about as vivid as I have ever seen. The pictures don't do them justice (I suck at photography and it was dark, double whammy). I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.

This guy had something interesting going on. Note the plant roots hanging out of his mouth.

FullSizeRender2.jpg

I think I could label these two as "ivory leopard tortoises". ;)

2.jpg

Just for giggles here's some more fun. Dug up a nest the other day and was quadruple shocked to find 14 gigantic eggs.

Here is one of those eggs compared to a normal sized egg:

IMG_0661.JPG

The egg on the left will yield an average sized 20g leopard. The egg on the right is easily double the size and weight. I'll post when and if they hatch.

So, a couple of lose's, but overall it was a good evening!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow. How interesting. What is normal incubation duration indoors?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's like Christmas! How exciting for you. We can't leave them in the ground here because of the red ants. Those darned ants drill little holes in the eggs and eat the contents.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's like Christmas! How exciting for you. We can't leave them in the ground here because of the red ants. Those darned ants drill little holes in the eggs and eat the contents.

Yep definitely like Christmas. We had the kids get involved too. Our oldest helped me dig and the youngest made sure none of them escaped the tub we were putting them in. They had a great time!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that is great. Hope they all do well. Why do you think none of the babies tried digging their way up and out of the next? I never would have thought they would stay there and not try to come out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow, that is great. Hope they all do well. Why do you think none of the babies tried digging their way up and out of the next? I never would have thought they would stay there and not try to come out.

In the area where the first nest was found, the ground was too hard. Caliche is the term, it's basically like cement. I'm amazed that the female was able to dig a nest in this stuff, but there is no way these hatchlings were digging themselves out.

I think if given time the other nest would have been able to get out. It seemed like they were starting to dig upwards, most of them I had to pluck off the roof of the nest cavity. They may have had a hard time due to the grass roots being heavily overgrown though.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
You should post a pic comparing the two groups! I want to see that really dark baby from the bigger nest next to one of the barely surviving hatchlings with low pigment. Super awesome!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What beauties those two are! Think they need the good life of Nebraska (along with that little special scute one)

Was the weather cooler at the earlier development time?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What beauties those two are! Think they need the good life of Nebraska (along with that little special scute one)

Was the weather cooler at the earlier development time?

These were laid in the late summer early fall. Fall for us can still have days in the 100's, so it was "cooler" from the time they were laid and perhaps during the first stages of development, but not cold. I'm extremely surprised that any from the first clutch hatched. The nest wasn't very deep, and as I said in the original post, the nest was completely exposed to the elements. We had almost a week straight of 120 degrees this summer. It's amazing how they were able to survive.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
What a fun evening! I'm glad the kids got involved, you are training the next generation.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
With Galaps the babies will stay in the nest about a month to completely absorb the yolk and harden off but I believe I've read that it is rain softening the earth that makes them emerge. The moms of many tortoises urinate on the top of the nest and make a hard protective plug of the fill earth by packing down with their plastron. This is protective:<3:but also makes it hard to get out without rain to soften the dirt. I'm pretty sure that many babies sleep in their hatching chamber until the rainy season arrives bringing a new food supply for them to start life after the dry passes. These little Leopards may have been waiting for rain to come:(.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sounds like you had a good day Neal. Nice story.
Did the one with the plant root in his mouth have any eggsack left?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like you had a good day Neal. Nice story.
Did the one with the plant root in his mouth have any eggsack left?

I don't recall. Most of them did, so it is likely.