Winter time in South Ar

Charne

Location (City and/or State)
Bloemfontein, South Africa
I have read that Leopard Tortoises don't really hibernate. They park off. They get slower, eat less and sleep more. During the winter time which for us in South Africa is June - August, I should just leave him and just check on him now and again to see if he and everything else is okay. And I should not feed him.

I do feed him kitchen food, but only in the mornings and once a week - over weekends. I also sprinkle calcium powder over his kitchen food. He has more than enough different grasses and other plants in the garden. So he roams as he would have in the wild. Enough water, bushes to hide under and he has his own home.

I have also read and I have done it - when it gets warmer, once a month gave him a scrub with a very very soft brush and diluted Betadine. He is not to happy about it, but I understand why. I work very carefully with him soothing him all the way.

My questions are:

-Can I still feed him until end of May?

-Will he be okay without the calcium powder during the winter months?

-Will he be okay without food during the winter?

-Will he eat a little bit of grasses during the winter when he needs to?

-Will he drink water during the winter when he needs to?

-Will he be okay without the once a month scrub during winter?

Thank you!
Regards Charné, Hendricus and Skillie

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you need to care for him the same as summer time but with added heat if you get cold.
They don't slow down enough to not be fed. In fact they don't slow down much at all with the proper temps they need. If any slowing it's because they are kept inside because the temps outside are cold, 40's, 30's F or colder. Feed daily, keep them at 80 degrees F and treat the same as summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No betadine. Not sure where you got that but no betadine scrubs. Just soaking in warm water once a month for an adult.

Charne

Thank you for this information. I went on Google and printed as much information as I could about Leopard Tortoises. On of the information leaflets talked about the Betadine and the getting slower, eating less. I hope I did not hurt Skillie by doing this? Most of the leaflets said that kitchen food must only be given once a week and that 70% of the diet must be different types of grasses. Just to double check, this part I am doing right? Skillie is very healthy. There is no signs that he is not healthy. No runny nose, bright eyes, he walks fine, shell looks good, feet and nails looks good, beak and mouth looks good, feces is fibrous and not loose.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leopards are from Africa. You should be able to feed a more natural diet. What they would eat if in the wild. Those of us that have to feed "kitchen" food do. But it should not be fed if it doesn't have too be. It won't hurt him depending on what you are feeding him. You can keep feeding kitchen food but if he has enough outside then you don't need too. Most of the info you got is wrong.
No more betadine.
What are your winter temps?
What are the kitchen food items you are feeding?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We were talking about this subject on another thread. I know that the leopard tortoises native to northern Africa don't brumate or 'park off,' but we really don't know much about the leopard tortoises from South Africa. Since the SA leopard eggs need a diapause period (cool down), I was wondering if the SA leopards might undergo a short brumation period. If your friends or acquaintances in SA are telling you that the leopard tortoise where you live park off, then maybe that answers my question. Maybe they just slow down in colder weather. If your tortoises live outside, I think it's safe to just allow them to live naturally, with no artificial heat. Giving them artificial heat might be doing more harm than good. They know what they need.

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
To echo what Yvonne said... if you live you their natural range in SA, then seek the advice of friends and neighbours who also keep leos also. Most people on this forum are keeping leos in their non native countries of origin so we have to replicate their natural living conditions the best we can.

Charne

I know most of you keep Leos in their non native countries of origin, but I think you might be able to help me with these questions:

The house that we made for Skillie - we took the biggest plastic pot plant turn it over and cut out a opening. For the bottom part we used the plastic pot plant's bottom and just turn it upside down. In summer this is very cool. But what can I use to make it just a little bit warmer for winter? Our temps can go into minuses during the night and below 10 degrees during the day.

Does Leos get worms, ticks and fleas? If so, what can I do prevent it?

I am not using Batadine anymore. I just wanted to know, did it dried out his shell?

For how long do I need to soak him in warm water? I am going to leave him in peace for the winter and just check on him once a while, but just wanted to know for when he wakes up.

Thank you!