Worming

Lewis516

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hi there, i havent wormed my tortoise before and dont really know how to go about it. Is there a test i can get to see if he needs worming? And can i do it all from home?

Thank you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Unless you have specific reasons or symptoms...don't bother. Tortoises are not pets in the fashion of dogs or c ats. Rarely are parasites a problem,...

Lewis516

Bristol
Unless you have specific reasons or symptoms...don't bother. Tortoises are not pets in the fashion of dogs or c ats. Rarely are parasites a problem,...
Okay no worries, i just remember hearing somewhere torts should be wormed up to twice a year

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have trouble with parasites here, because of all the small snails. They are on everything. Snails are full of parasites. I have treated Opo with a liquid med panacur 2 times. I had Opo's stool checked before treating him. I noticed he was off his food. He didn't eat like usual.
How I treated is with a syringe (no needle)
Put 3ml on his mazuri pellets and let it soak in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have trouble with parasites here, because of all the small snails. They are on everything. Snails are full of parasites. I have treated Opo with a liquid med panacur 2 times. I had Opo's stool checked before treating him. I noticed he was off his food. He didn't eat like usual.
How I treated is with a syringe (no needle)
Put 3ml on his mazuri pellets and let it soak in.
Be careful giving dosage unless you know the OP's tortoise is of same size and weight. It could be very dangerous for the tort to follow a dosage that is not meant for their tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi there, i havent wormed my tortoise before and dont really know how to go about it. Is there a test i can get to see if he needs worming? And can i do it all from home?

Thank you.
I have never wormed my tortoises. If there is no reason too then don't.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Be careful giving dosage unless you know the OP's tortoise is of same size and weight. It could be very dangerous for the tort to follow a dosage that is not meant for their tort.
Oops my bad, didn't think about the size of their tort. Thanks for correcting that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thank you.
You can take a stool sample in to your vet if you are worried, but be careful. Some amount of some parasitic worms is considered at least commensal, and possible beneficial in some cases. Worming medication is toxic and must be used carefully and only when its really needed. FYI, Ivermectin is toxic to torts, so be aware of that in case your vet isn't.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You can take a stool sample in to your vet if you are worried, but be careful. Some amount of some parasitic worms is considered at least commensal, and possible beneficial in some cases. Worming medication is toxic and must be used carefully and only when its really needed. FYI, Ivermectin is toxic to torts, so be aware of that in case your vet isn't.
I hear Ivermectin cures covid 19. I just don't know how much I should take.?

Phreeflow

CA
This is a great thread. I was also told to deworm any new turtles as part of a good quarantine process. Glad to know that’s not necessary unless there are symptoms.

There’s lot of conflicting info out there and most pet stores selling torts seem to have no clue. Just saw a store with some baby redfoots and sulcatas that were bone dry and cooking under their lights. I would’ve thought that normal until reading Tom’s care guides

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This is a great thread. I was also told to deworm any new turtles as part of a good quarantine process. Glad to know that’s not necessary unless there are symptoms.

There’s lot of conflicting info out there and most pet stores selling torts seem to have no clue. Just saw a store with some baby redfoots and sulcatas that were bone dry and cooking under their lights. I would’ve thought that normal until reading Tom’s care guides
I agree, it is hard for me to walk in a pet store. I want to buy all the tortoises in the store. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I hear Ivermectin cures covid 19. I just don't know how much I should take.?
Ok Jan ,I got a laugh from you! That's what the post was meant for. But I could see where someone might take it and actually try it.