Worn Spurs on Front Feet

TortSpeed

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
New to the Tort life but not an amateur in reptiles....

Just saved a 15 year old sulcata but from what I see/read he is small for his age. Little bit of pyramiding (not sure if can be fixed with time). I will be taking an accurate measurement of him tomorrow to track progress....

His spurs on his front feet are worn down flat from what looks like rubbing on a barrier...

Does that mean his previous enclosure was too small?

I appreciate the feedback, feedback or comments!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts (eg Greeks and Sulcatas) only have spurs on their back legs. On the front legs they have claws and scales.

Photos of the tort as a whole and of the bit you are worried about will help us to understand

TortSpeed

Miami, Fl
Here are some pics of the front claws/scales...

Looks like they have been worn down.

9E4ACDFB-507F-4904-82B5-D2D4682ABDAA.jpeg A33577F6-12BE-4C22-8C63-9F7D59113F2A.jpeg AFE36817-3FFD-4AD3-AD28-605FA58D5E76.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does look like there has been some abrasion. That doesn't meant the enclosure was too small, it means that the tortoise has been rubbing on abrasive surfaces. Doesn't look bad or like it is any problem for the tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just normal wear and tear. My 110lb sulcata's front legs look like that too.

TortSpeed

Miami, Fl
He seems to be committed to pacing the wall...

I heard if the sulcata “can see thru” it he’s going to try to go thru it... is this accurate?

Another thing I heard: if you let you sulcata roam outside it’s cage it will never be happy in its cage and always try to get out, hence the worn out “flat claws”

I see lots of torts here with nice full claws. I assume they are not riding the wall.

Could there be a reason why he rides the wall??

Still hungry?

P

pguinpro

I heard if the sulcata “can see thru” it he’s going to try to go thru it... is this accurate?

Another thing I heard: if you let you sulcata roam outside it’s cage it will never be happy in its cage and always try to get out, hence the worn out “flat claws”

I see lots of torts here with nice full claws. I assume they are not riding the wall.

Still hungry?
Mine did that to for a month...get something black or tape brown paperbag. Or you can get a backdrop wallpaper from petco or amazon.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Still hungry?

Yes, that’s accurate. Can he see through the wall?

If you have grass and weeds for him to graze and maybe some hay, he shouldn’t be hungry.