Worried about humidity and substrate

MickeysMummy

Location (City and/or State)
London, United Kingdom
Hey all,

I'm looking for help/opinions on humidity in my vivarium for my Indian Stars.

The breeder I got them from says to keep humidity around 50% while I've read on here that people keep the humidity much higher. The humidity in my Viv stays at around 45% until I spray it and then it rockets up to 80/90% but quickly drops back down to the lower figure so I'm finding myself misting 5/6 times a day to keep humidity up which I don't mind doing but then I worry that I'm going to be making the substrate (orchid bark) too wet and they'll end up with respiratory issues! It's actually really stressing me out worrying about it so any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are my temperatures ok? I'm getting 34C on the basking spot, 27/28C on the hot side and 25/26 on the cool side.

Thanks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I know nothing about this species, but what are you using to check humidity and are you checking it at substrate level, not 12" up the enclosure and near the heat source.

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
I know nothing about this species, but what are you using to check humidity and are you checking it at substrate level, not 12" up the enclosure and near the heat source.

I have 3 thermo/hygro probes in the Viv, all at substrate level, one in the hot side, one in the cool side and one in the middle

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You may want to load a picture of your enclosure to receive advice from others.

I've never used just orchid bark so I'm not sure how that hold humidity.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Some vivs have a vent on top too, does this one or is the top a solid piece of wood.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also is that a uvb fluorescent tube up the top. If so it's to high up.

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
It has four vents in total, 2 left and right sides toward the bottom and 2 top left and top right corners. The top is solid.

The UVB light is an Arcadia 55w compact flood light and the reason I use that one is because I telephoned Arcadia directly and gave them my vivarium measurements and this light is what they said I needed and assured me that the UVB travels perfectly far enough. Apparently in these newer version lights they are specifically designed so that the UVB travels further than the older types.

So if I block up a couple of the vents, that will help with the humidity but will it not make the substrate too wet?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The more enclosed the enclosure the less wet you need to keep the substrate to create humidity. Humidity does not mean wet/damp substrate. It means moisture in the air. Try closing the vents and see what happens. As the water in his soaking bowl evaporates there will be nowhere for it to escape to. Don't make the substrate wet.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It has four vents in total, 2 left and right sides toward the bottom and 2 top left and top right corners. The top is solid.

The UVB light is an Arcadia 55w compact flood light and the reason I use that one is because I telephoned Arcadia directly and gave them my vivarium measurements and this light is what they said I needed and assured me that the UVB travels perfectly far enough. Apparently in these newer version lights they are specifically designed so that the UVB travels further than the older types.

So if I block up a couple of the vents, that will help with the humidity but will it not make the substrate too wet?
I have no experience with that type bulb!!!

If you block the vents up hopefully you won't be spraying like you are. Even evaporation of that water bowl should help keep your humidity up with vents blocked. If your spraying so frequently and the humidity is low then that suggests it's escaping the through the vents. Either that or its getting stagnant below your substrate. In my last viv I only had 2 vents. When I blocked them off it made quite a lot of improvement regarding humidity. That said I was aiming for 80% +. If it works and goes too high for whatever this species requires you could open 1 vent back up. Your temps may rise too, are they controlled?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see a few things I would do differently:
1. The manufactures are confusing descriptive terms again. I had to look up your bulb to see what it is. I see that its a long tube type. Do you have a UV meter? Those bulbs are VERY effective. They make a lot of UV. In my case, I decided they make too much UV to be on all day long. My Arcadia 12%HO tubes make as much UV as mid day summer sun when they are mounted 22" over head. I set them on a timer for only 4 hours mid day. If your UV is too strong and on all day long, it can do damage. Be careful here. You have the opposite problem of most people, which is not enough UV. I think you should invest in a good UV meter and check your levels. I run a regular florescent tube for light, and just have the Arcadia bulbs come on mid day to simulate the stronger mid day UV they would get outside. Here is the meter:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Using a meter is the only way to know what is happening in your enclosure and when you need to lower or replace your bulb.
2. Misting is not an effective way to keep humidity up. You need 3-4 inches of substrate and keep the lower levels damp. This will give off plenty of humidity, while the surface will remain dry-ish.
3. Your temps are too cool. Basking should be 37 and cool side or night temp should not drop below 27.
4. You don't need the cage around your basking bulb. That is for lizards and snakes.
5. I would not use that "spot" bulb for basking. They concentrate too much heat into one small area, desiccate the carapace, and contribute to pyramiding. Regular hardware store flood bulbs work much better and spread the heat out.
6. Too much ventilation. I'd cover those vents. You don't need them. That is where you are losing all your humidity. The gap in the sliding doors, and you opening the doors daily will let plenty of air in.

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
I see a few things I would do differently:
1. The manufactures are confusing descriptive terms again. I had to look up your bulb to see what it is. I see that its a long tube type. Do you have a UV meter? Those bulbs are VERY effective. They make a lot of UV. In my case, I decided they make too much UV to be on all day long. My Arcadia 12%HO tubes make as much UV as mid day summer sun when they are mounted 22" over head. I set them on a timer for only 4 hours mid day. If your UV is too strong and on all day long, it can do damage. Be careful here. You have the opposite problem of most people, which is not enough UV. I think you should invest in a good UV meter and check your levels. I run a regular florescent tube for light, and just have the Arcadia bulbs come on mid day to simulate the stronger mid day UV they would get outside. Here is the meter:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Using a meter is the only way to know what is happening in your enclosure and when you need to lower or replace your bulb.
2. Misting is not an effective way to keep humidity up. You need 3-4 inches of substrate and keep the lower levels damp. This will give off plenty of humidity, while the surface will remain dry-ish.
3. Your temps are too cool. Basking should be 37 and cool side or night temp should not drop below 27.
4. You don't need the cage around your basking bulb. That is for lizards and snakes.
5. I would not use that "spot" bulb for basking. They concentrate too much heat into one small area, desiccate the carapace, and contribute to pyramiding. Regular hardware store flood bulbs work much better and spread the heat out.
6. Too much ventilation. I'd cover those vents. You don't need them. That is where you are losing all your humidity. The gap in the sliding doors, and you opening the doors daily will let plenty of air in.

Hi Tom, thank you for your response.

I don't currently have a UVB meter, I wasn't aware I needed one but now I know, I shall look into getting one. I see they're quite expensive so I may not be able to get one just yet.
How do you keep the lower levels of the substrate damp without making the surface too wet? (Is that a silly question?)
The breeder told me that 20 - 22C at night was fine, and 34C maximum on the basking spot, however I will make sure I get the temps abit higher.
The cage around the bulb was really only there because my Beardie used to live in that Viv and I didn't think it made any difference so I just left it.
Again, I took the advice of others on the basking bulb, though to be honest it did concern me that the basking spot is reading 34C but if I put my hand directly underneath the cage guard, it doesn't feel very hot at all. So I'll be changing that too.

Thanks for your advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, thank you for your response.

I don't currently have a UVB meter, I wasn't aware I needed one but now I know, I shall look into getting one. I see they're quite expensive so I may not be able to get one just yet.
How do you keep the lower levels of the substrate damp without making the surface too wet? (Is that a silly question?)
The breeder told me that 20 - 22C at night was fine, and 34C maximum on the basking spot, however I will make sure I get the temps abit higher.
The cage around the bulb was really only there because my Beardie used to live in that Viv and I didn't think it made any difference so I just left it.
Again, I took the advice of others on the basking bulb, though to be honest it did concern me that the basking spot is reading 34C but if I put my hand directly underneath the cage guard, it doesn't feel very hot at all. So I'll be changing that too.

Thanks for your advice.

Good luck with your changes. Keep us posted.