I'm having trouble keeping humidity

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
Humidity hasn't been a problem till now. I hear that its difficult to keep humidity during winter I'm guessing because of the central heating. Whats the best substrate for humidity? I'm currently using cococoir and topsoil but because of night time heat it dries quicker than usual. I known that moss on the side can help but it smells fairly bad ( zoo med) lol. Also my enclosure is wrapped with a see through shower curtain theres some small gaps here and there but i'm on my way to buy some aluminium tape to cover them.

NICOLE640

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
I use cypress mulch. This was what was recommended to me for help with humidity. I find it works alright!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It all depends upon how you wet the substrate - not what kind it is. You need to actually pour water, maybe even a pitcherfull, over the substrate then mix it up with your hand until it is all wet. As it dries, you pour more water into the corner so it flows under the dry top layer. I keep my indoor babies in swamp-like conditions, covered with plastic and have no trouble with humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity hasn't been a problem till now. I hear that its difficult to keep humidity during winter I'm guessing because of the central heating. Whats the best substrate for humidity? I'm currently using cococoir and topsoil but because of night time heat it dries quicker than usual. I known that moss on the side can help but it smells fairly bad ( zoo med) lol. Also my enclosure is wrapped with a see through shower curtain theres some small gaps here and there but i'm on my way to buy some aluminium tape to cover them.

I agree with Yvonne here. It doesn't matter what substrate you use in regards to this issue. Water evaporates at the same rate regales of whether its soil, coir or mulch.

This issue is where does the water go once it evaporates. With an open top, or with too much ventilation, the evaporated water dissipates into the dry room air.

The solution to this problem is a closed chamber. I've tried many variation of covering the top, but if the lights are on the outside it creates a chimney effect and sucks out your heat and humidity. Lights and heating elements need to be inside the closed chamber.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I agree with Yvonne here. It doesn't matter what substrate you use in regards to this issue. Water evaporates at the same rate regales of whether its soil, coir or mulch.

This issue is where does the water go once it evaporates. With an open top, or with too much ventilation, the evaporated water dissipates into the dry room air.

The solution to this problem is a closed chamber. I've tried many variation of covering the top, but if the lights are on the outside it creates a chimney effect and sucks out your heat and humidity. Lights and heating elements need to be inside the closed chamber.

thats exactly how mine is at the moment everything is inside and I poured water and mixed it all up but the humidity hasn't gone down. I have a feeling that my humidity gadget thing has broken down -___-. I perhaps may have sprayed water on it.

I'm using this one at the moment - my humidity has always been at 50-55 in the mornings and 75-85 at night.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J7OH72S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1