Worried about my tortoise

Rachaelxxx

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys,

I recently introduced myself on another thread so if you need a background on Marcia, please read there.

Recently, Marcia has become lazier and lazier and has started not getting up till 11 am or sometimes even 1pm. She used to get up around 8am or sometimes even earlier. I don't know why she's refusing to get up as there is food left out for her and all of her lights are on and the heating is on in the house, so it shouldn't be cold.

She's also started eating less and less food. Marcia used to be so greedy and eat everything in sight, now she doesn't and often leaves a lot of food.

I don't know if she's trying to hibernate as she's never hibernated before as far as I know. We don't plan on hibernating her this year as it's the first year we've had her (she's 9) so we are uncertain in regards to her health etc.

She's also started retreating into her hide a lot more during the day which is unusual as she usually stays out and naps under the light.

Is this normal or could something be wrong?

Apologies if I'm merely paranoid!

Btw we still plan on expanding her enclosure but it will take time.

N

no one

It could be the hibernation then. I have a Hermann's and he is eating a lot less lately too. Less active.
But maybe others will tell you more. It is a good forum to get help for your Tortoise, that is for sure!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi Rachel

The days are getting shorter and colder... especially up North in Scotland.

Your tortoise will be detecting these changes and will be thinking about hibernating.

The only way you will keep your tort awake is to kid it that spring has arrived.

Bright lights on for at least 12 hours - use a timer and you may need a supplementary light just to improve General brightness around the enclosure.

And double check those temperatures. Your home will be cooler, especially at night. You may need a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to keep the ambient temperature in the enclosure at 20C day and night (basking needs to be 30-35C) The CHE can be switched on 24/7 as the thermostat makes sure it only cuts in if it's needed.

Even with this, you will see a decline in activity until the days start to lengthen.

Do soak your tortoise daily for at least 20 minutes while appetite is suppressed.

Do weigh your tortoise weekly to make keep an eye on weight loss. Hopefully there will be none, but you need to be aware