Worried about slower growth

Amore

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
I have two baby leopard tortoises, 15 months old more or less. One has slowed in growth for the last three weeks. Both kept exactly the same in their seperate indoor enclosures, as it is winter here now. Should I be worried? Both have a uvb tube light and basking lamp during day and night time heat lamp. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495996202.621946.jpgthis is TiggerImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495996227.521441.jpgthis is FlashImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495996251.860846.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495996269.410873.jpg

Amore

South Africa
Flash has not picked up any weight. Both eating well and pooping well.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hi, few questions for you.

1. What are the average daytime and nighttime temps?

2. What has the growth rate been that you say it's slowed over the past week?

3. Have they had a fecal sample examined for worms and the like?

4. How big are their living spaces?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They all grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. I would not worry too much about this, especially at the onset of winter with the shorter days and cooler temps.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You keep them separately so I assume they're just doing what people do - growing at slightly different rates.

Amore

South Africa
@Ramsey
1. Day time, even with basking lamp, uvb and heat lamp max 31C and night time between 21-24c depending on how cold the night
2. Please see photo of my tracking, I have had then from last year plus minus May, but only started tracking nowImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496157676.325593.jpg
3. No examination done... must I?
4. Living space 2x 1 ... each living seperate ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496157743.900213.jpg

Thank you for the advice

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
@Ramsey
1. Day time, even with basking lamp, uvb and heat lamp max 31C and night time between 21-24c depending on how cold the night
2. Please see photo of my tracking, I have had then from last year plus minus May, but only started tracking nowView attachment 208953
3. No examination done... must I?
4. Living space 2x 1 ... each living seperate View attachment 208954

Thank you for the advice
Hi,

Based on your information, it seems as though you have some healthy babies. If they've only flatlined recently, then maybe it's a seasonal thing as Tom said.

Based on your temps, it seems as though your nighttime temps might be a bit on the cool side.

Many keepers, including myself like to keep a nightime low of 80F/27C. Although a local vet I know raises leopards and keeps them at your same lower temps without issue.

One thing you may also want to consider is getting larger habitats for them, if possible. That may be playing a role.

It doesn't sound like your babies have worms, but it's not a bad idea to get an annual exam and have them do a fecal while at it.

Lastly, the best indicator is their behavior. Sounds like you have had them long enough to learn their habits and behaviors. As long as they are acting their normal selves, you should be good.

Happy torting :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your enclosures need a lot of improvements and humidity. Those cages are not for tortoises and does not keep in heat or humidity.
Temps should be no lower then 80F with 80% humidity day and night with a proper basking temp of 95-100F

Amore

South Africa
Have plastic covers and humidity is between 70-80% all the time, just took it off to take the photo. Have digital temp and humidity readers

Amore

South Africa
In summer basking temp easily reaches 38c , please remember in SA we are in the middle of winter now

Amore

South Africa
@Ramsey Thanks so much for the advice, working on outside enclosures for summertime now. Only recently finished skillies enclosure and now working on the babies ones next. They have larger outside "playpins"... just for real sunlight. Appreciate the advice

Amore

South Africa
After today's weight checked... Flash has lost weightImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496511309.431743.jpg
Going to soak in carrot juice tomorrow and buy some dewormer this week