Worried about the shell

Francesca

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, we have recently become owners of Tiddles, our Marginated tortoise but yesterday I noticed his shell has changed. Around the edges they have become thin and sharp to touch. Am I doing something wrong? Little worried. 20170329_190333.jpg

EllieMG

This is normal as they grow up - it won't let me upload a picture but if you type in google 'marginated tortoise shell' a handy drawing comes up of a tortoise with a shell like yours:) hope this helps

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Doesn't look bad, but what type UVB bulb are you providing, or does it get natural, unfiltered sunlight very often? how about supplements with D3?

It does not look bad at all, but perhaps just a bit of overproduction of keratin? The back claws may also be a bit long?? Again nothing really looks bad, but just throwing that out in case you haven't got D3 covered, you can look at that. That can be a symptom of not enough D3 and calcium being absorbed naturally.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's normal growth for a tortoise raised in captivity indoors. Tortoises raised indoors grow faster than their outdoor counterparts for a number of reasons. More consistent heat, less dormant periods, a diet much higher in nutrients, more exposure to moisture, lighting, lack of weather adversity, etc...
That doesn't make it wrong, just different.