Shell questions

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a couple of shell questions. Both are about my oldest but smallest hatchlings shell.
First: does the way these two scutes meet, appear to be growing normally? (The first and second scute on the side of her shell) the other side is growing the same way.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394574047.573928.jpg
Other side
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394574155.305760.jpg

And are these sharp jagged edges something that will naturally file down or become smooth?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394574215.571461.jpg

Thanks.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I would assume they will smooth out as she grows and starts walking/rubbing on obstructions.

Elohi said:
I have a couple of shell questions. Both are about my oldest but smallest hatchlings shell.
First: does the way these two scutes meet, appear to be growing normally? (The first and second scute on the side of her shell) the other side is growing the same way.

Other side

And are these sharp jagged edges something that will naturally file down or become smooth?

Thanks.

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you mean the slight raised scutes? Those already raised scutes will not go away, however if the proper care is going on then any future growth can come in smoother...cute little tort by the way :D

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Think she looks great. All the close ups of shells I have seen have these slight ridges on the growth. Mine certainly does, not that I'm an expert lol
Really lovely markings coming in already. Love seeing how much your trio are already changing.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394643108.207357.jpg
Where these two scutes meet, on both sides seem to be growing at an angle as opposed to equally and straight. Just making sure that is normal. It just looks different than how The other two Leo's scutes are growing right there.
Here is Watson's, same location.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394643500.239971.jpg

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's probably hard to guess at this point if they will cause a problem. However, it really doesn't look like something that would.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Probably caused by all those head first dives off of her hide!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I think it's an optical elision being caused by her patterning coming in dark on that one Shute. I think.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394660744.392647.jpg Benny has a similar elision on his one side. See it in the middle of his side?

That was supposed to say illusion

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Elohi, I think Freckles has a slight scute shape abnormality. It's uniform on each side so I'd assume it developed that way in the egg, not a result of husbandry. If anything, look at it as a higher probability she is female ;)