leopard tortoise shell getting softer

natik

Is it a smooth dish? My little guy has some trouble eating from a glazed dish. I feed him in a little pile on a slate rock so he can get some traction with those tiny little legs.
the dish is a plastic top from the plastic food storage box, it's she shallowest I can find. It doesn't seem to bother them to climb into it or walk inside. I guess, I can just cut and pile up the food higher so that they wouldn't eat it from the bottom of the dish. Before I would be spread evenly on the bottom and then they have difficulty to pick. I'll do it tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
the dish is a plastic top from the plastic food storage box, it's she shallowest I can find. It doesn't seem to bother them to climb into it or walk inside. I guess, I can just cut and pile up the food higher so that they wouldn't eat it from the bottom of the dish. Before I would be spread evenly on the bottom and then they have difficulty to pick. I'll do it tomorrow.

I use terra cotta plant saucers for this. Keeps the food off the substrate, but still offers good traction and easy access.

natik

If Smiley is an SA leopard the behavior matters now, not just at maturity. There does not have to be overt biting or ramming for the other tortoises to feel intimidated by him.

I would not use human vitamins for a reptile. I'd get a reptile vitamin supplement and use a tiny sprinkle once a week. Same thing with a calcium supplement, but twice a week on that one. You only need a small amount and it helps to mix it all in well.

I wouldn't bother with grass for regular leopards. Look for broadleaf weeds and succulents. Any new food will need to be introduced slowly over a long period of time. Few food will be eaten the first few times they are seen. I would soak one ZooMed pellet and mix that all in with a big pile of greens. Once they start eating that, then you can try adding two pellets, and so on...

I didn't notice any interactions between them, so far it's very peaceful. They don't really pay attention to each other. They don't even climb on each other much, noticed probably couple times and only when I soak them.

I'll buy reptile vit tomorrow.

Will start mixing ZooMed tomorrow. The big changes are coming tomorrow for my little guys:) Whatever it takes to keep them alive.

Last edited:

natik

One more question.
I have an ample supply of perennial ornamental peanut. I planted it in their outdoor enclosure where they stayed for the first week or so. They loved grazing on it, especially on it's flowers. Torts are not there any more because it's too bid and it doesn't have heater so they are on the lanai. But later on this forum someone said that it's a poison for them. Couldn't find why. It's not poisonous for people or animals. Anyone has any info? Ornamental peanut is not the same as a regular peanut.

natik

I use terra cotta plant saucers for this. Keeps the food off the substrate, but still offers good traction and easy access.
I'll need to look for those saucers better, so far everything I found was too deep for them, they had difficulties to get in and out. Will check tomorrow in Lowes again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I appreciate your opinion. Do you think it's better for them? Like I said, I don't anticipate any lack of fresh food here, it's Florida. The hibiscus always has flowers and unlimited supply of leafs, plus cactus, grasses and so on... But if pellets are better, then I'll start offering more .

No....not at all, I do not ever think that the commercial foods are better than natural grown food....hibiscus and the leaves and cactus, grasses and all are soooo much better....but it sounds as though you will need to be the leader in this food game....decide what you are going to offer the tort and then let the tort come around....especially since you are offering up good stuff.....none of the plants you are offering are sprayed with herbicides nor pesticides nor fertilizer right?

natik

none of the plants you are offering are sprayed with herbicides nor pesticides nor fertilizer right?
No, I've lived in my house for 10 years, I don't use any herbicides or pesticides. So all the plants are clean and have being growing for at least couple years in my backyard.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I'll need to look for those saucers better, so far everything I found was too deep for them, they had difficulties to get in and out. Will check tomorrow in Lowes again.

They are very cheap, which is a plus!

natik

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sadly, Smiley passed away this night. He didn't make it:-((

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sadly, Smiley passed away this night. He didn't make it:-((
I'm sorry. I lost one like this too earlier this year. Sometimes no matter what you do they don't pull through once you notice soft shell.

We create as much as possible ideal environments for them , but sometimes there are issues we cannot control - genetic weakness is always possible too.

There are many great breeders here on the forum. I hope this loss doesn't discourage you from trying again.