Worried new parent!

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have had my tortoise 2days. He is so adorable and i love him so much but I feel bad about what just happened.

So i turned off the lights for my tortoise about 40mins ago and went to check whether he was sleeping, but I realized I couldn't find him anywhere. I was checking everywhere frantically, even theorising how he may have escaped despite the fact there is no escape route and a lid. I did not think he would burrow because I have never seen him do this. However, after 5mins of panicking I did find him burrowed a few inches, asleep. I knew they burrowed, but it freaked me out so much when I couldn't see him! I woke him up and I am sure that i did the wrong thing and will not do it again. Can someone just reassure me he wont suffocate when he's sleeping under there? And will he come to the surface when he wakes up?

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
He won't suffocate! It sounds like normal behaviour, so no need to disturb him. Yes, he should resurface in the morning to warm himself up to optimal temperature before eating.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Here’s a picture from yesterday of my Russian in his outdoor enclosure. Indoors, he buries himself completely until I can’t see him. Definitely no suffocation :) 7DEDA00E-8652-4D88-B607-5BD0760D409D.jpeg5B27E196-E82E-4F30-AD85-EA5F9694D29F.jpeg034F8E6D-BBDA-47B7-BA90-DD348CEF4339.jpegF3AE18D7-D53C-43D1-96F9-BC2FB130565F.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you have been careful to follow all the advice on this forum regarding the correct conditions for your tortoise, then please try to stop worrying about him and give yourself a break!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had my tortoise 2days. He is so adorable and i love him so much but I feel bad about what just happened.

So i turned off the lights for my tortoise about 40mins ago and went to check whether he was sleeping, but I realized I couldn't find him anywhere. I was checking everywhere frantically, even theorising how he may have escaped despite the fact there is no escape route and a lid. I did not think he would burrow because I have never seen him do this. However, after 5mins of panicking I did find him burrowed a few inches, asleep. I knew they burrowed, but it freaked me out so much when I couldn't see him! I woke him up and I am sure that i did the wrong thing and will not do it again. Can someone just reassure me he wont suffocate when he's sleeping under there? And will he come to the surface when he wakes up?
What species, size and age?

Its fall and temperate species will want to prepare for brumation. What are your temps and lighting? What substrate?

Your lights should be on a timer so that they go on and off at the same time each day. Ambient heat, if needed, should be set on a thermostat.