Worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
Hello, I rescued a Hermann's tortoise on the 3rd October, and he was very ill when I got him, and had been attacked by a fox or dog. I was told he was underweight. He wouldn't eat at all to start with, but now he is eating well in his indoor enclosure, but I am concerned that his weight still hasn't really changed! He was 393g when I got him, and he is now 404g. He seems lively and seems to enjoy munching his weeds, I always put nutrobal on his food, but I'm concerned he hasn't put a lot of weight on. I am new to tortoises, I'm trying to take everything in and learn.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you go through an antibiotic treatment with him? He may have an underlying infection brought on by being chewed. The wounds may have healed, but there still might be infection going on inside. A blood test would tell you.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
He has been wormed with Panacur, and yes, he was on a course of antibiotics for his shell wounds, but the vet wasn't too concerned as the bite wounds weren't deep, but he wanted to give him antibiotics just to be safe, and I also washed the wounds daily with an antiseptic solution. He seems very lively, and munches away at his grub. How much should he weigh if his shell is about 5 inches long?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I am by far not an expert, but there is still some weigh gain so that is good. Keep a watchful eye, sounds like you have done everything! Wishing you some tortie weight gain! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a look through the "library" section in Madkins007's signature. I think he has a scale you can figure out size/weight for Hermann's tortoises.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I am no expert either but to me he seems to be doing well, I wouldn't expect a large weight gain from a tort who is rehabbing serious injury, from what u have said I would say u have done well, and the tort sounds like he is bout all better

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have to agree....give him a high five and yourself too.....if he was traumatized and then started to settle and heal and then appetite came back and now you see a weight increase....then he is on track and you two are doing great...don't fret just keep on keeping on....:D

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you all so much for your replies, that's made me feel a lot better! He really does look like he's enjoying his food. I just worry about him a lot! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.