Worried..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayladevon

5 Year Member
053.JPGHello, I'm kayla. My sulcata tortoise is named tommy! I believe he is about two months old and I'm super worried about pyramiding.. Can he die from it? I have posted pics. please tell me if you think he is or not. Pease and thank you!

Attachments

• 085.JPG
    085.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! :) First off calm down, you have a lovely little guy who looks great. Now that your here and learning, Tommy has a great chance of never having any pyramiding. Some pyramiding is no big deal and mostly just a visual thing. Severe pyramiding, which usually seems to also come with MBD (metabolic bone disease), is when things really start getting bad for the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: WORRIED!

Hello and Welcome:). They can't die from just pyramiding. However, to prevent it, please read Toms threads below in my post. Set you little guy up with the correct temps, humidity and proper diet and hydration and s/he should do fine as long as he wasn't started out to dry before you got him. Sometimes, no matter how proper we keep them, some pyramiding will happen caused from before we received them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kayla.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Your baby is too young to really show pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. You need to change your set up right away, BEFORE he starts to pyramid. Sand should never be used as a substrate. It can irritate their eyes and skin and it is a big impaction risk.

Sulcatas hatch during the rainy season in Africa. It is hot, very humid, marshy in some areas, and there is food for them to eat everywhere. They are NOT desert animals.

Please click the links in my signature for more info, and here is a diet sheet too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Welcome and enjoy watching your tort grow healthy. You can be proud that he or she will become a bulldozer amongst other reptiles.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Kayla, and welcome! Your baby looks beautiful. Just listen to the advice you've been given, and you'll raise a healthy, beautifully smooth shelled sully.

Status
Not open for further replies.