Yellow bump update!

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego Ca
this is a brief explanation i can go into WAY more detail if you would like. one of the lab vets think this may be some sort of mutated form of this. again we need samples to know for sure. https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/canv-in-reptiles/
Thank you for the interesting link. I had no idea it has been around since the publication was 2015. What a loss to infectious disease science. It says a lot to the intensity of this persistent disease and the difficulty treating it. Good luck to everyone with infected animals and to those researching a cure.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Thank you for sharing all the information.

How is your baby doing ??

shawnateerow

Maurice
@zovick

Hi shawna. The ones we have that outlived the bumps are totally normal and healthy and destructive. They grew normally. As far as breeding them, I’m not sure as to the cause of them granulomas as either genetic predisposition to develop them or genuinely passed from one generation to the next, however, I suspect it is genetic predisposition mixed with environment factors. Likely very difficult to prevent. But, since I’m not sure of the actual cause, this is all speculation. I don’t really recommend neutering them due to difficulties of surgery in large tortoises but it is possible. I usually just recommend separating males from other large males and males from females. Usually, multiple females can be house together with little trouble.

This was his reply to your question, and I asked him how his torts are who outgrew the bumps.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Thank you for sharing all the information.

How is your baby doing ??

Hanging in there. That fighting spirit is still going steady! I've been giving them more time outside the past few days and they seem to live it. Im putting antibiotic eye drops a few times a day so hopefully that will heal up her little eye soon. And still eating like a champ?

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hanging in there. That fighting spirit is still going steady! I've been giving them more time outside the past few days and they seem to live it. Im putting antibiotic eye drops a few times a day so hopefully that will heal up her little eye soon. And still eating like a champ?
that's great! good thing you found this vet ?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
we have one going out tomm to see what the yellow actually is from a member here. i also wonder if we could be dealing with more then one issue at hand.

Last edited:

AgataP

Seattle, WA

Keeping my fingers crossed and sending you and the baby all the healing energy. Tortoise high five <3

zovick

10 Year Member!
@zovick

Hi shawna. The ones we have that outlived the bumps are totally normal and healthy and destructive. They grew normally. As far as breeding them, I’m not sure as to the cause of them granulomas as either genetic predisposition to develop them or genuinely passed from one generation to the next, however, I suspect it is genetic predisposition mixed with environment factors. Likely very difficult to prevent. But, since I’m not sure of the actual cause, this is all speculation. I don’t really recommend neutering them due to difficulties of surgery in large tortoises but it is possible. I usually just recommend separating males from other large males and males from females. Usually, multiple females can be house together with little trouble.

This was his reply to your question, and I asked him how his torts are who outgrew the bumps.
Thank you for the information and good luck with your tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The yellow bump disease happens in lizards too. One of Josh's forums I moderate for spammers talked about yellow bumps a while back, but when I went back to find it I couldn't remember which Forum it was.

shawnateerow

Maurice
The yellow bump disease happens in lizards too. One of Josh's forums I moderate for spammers talked about yellow bumps a while back, but when I went back to find it I couldn't remember which Forum it was.

I saw that it was/is a thing with lizards and bearded dragons. It would make the most sense that it is a mutated version of can-v/yfd in the tortoises like mastershake thinks. Thus why there is no info about there. I pray that the lab is able to figure it out!??

shawnateerow

Maurice
Hard to see, but I think bonnie may have a couple new bumps. Im putting betadine on them and hope they clear up like the last one? I think its also possible that she may have some inside her throat. Could b e why she's been having a little trouble swallowing. Fingers crossed, we WILL get through this??

Attachments

• 20201006_142547.jpg
    20201006_142547.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201006_142423.jpg
    20201006_142423.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201006_142358.jpg
    20201006_142358.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20201006_142354.jpg
    20201006_142354.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20201006_142348.jpg
    20201006_142348.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 40

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
one has officially arrived at the lab today with the bumps early next week we should have the results. they are doing FULL pathology on this one. we do need more samples to widen the search though if anyone else has one who has passed again please get with me via message.

we had the same issue with 2 of them we would have the bumps fully gone and they would come back. we finally did both fortaz and silver sulfadiazine on them and they did fully go away but those are the two who just do not grow at all.

shawnateerow

Maurice
one has officially arrived at the lab today with the bumps early next week we should have the results. they are doing FULL pathology on this one. we do need more samples to widen the search though if anyone else has one who has passed again please get with me via message.

we had the same issue with 2 of them we would have the bumps fully gone and they would come back. we finally did both fortaz and silver sulfadiazine on them and they did fully go away but those are the two who just do not grow at all.

Is the silver cream prescription only? And do you think it would be worth getting?

shawnateerow

Maurice

Also, do the specimens have to currently have the bumps? Or is it only required that they have had them before

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
we would like them to have them if possible. but we are doing two different sets one with and one without

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
Is the silver cream prescription only? And do you think it would be worth getting?
yes its script only. they fell off fast when we used that thats all i know for sure. a very light coating over them. it does not remove the fact it would possibly remain contagious though