Yellow Foot size question

Burgo40

I have a 6 year old yellow foot tortoise and I am curious if he is growing to the correct size. If anyone has information of the average size of a 6 year old yellow foot I would appreciate the info.

Thank you

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi,
Just wondered I thought I bought a RF and everyone on here said he is a YF? Mine is just a baby. I would love
to have pics of yours? And I have alot of questions for you if you dont mind? There is not many people who have
YFs? lol Thanks

finetrim

West Central Florida
My Yellow Foot I received in February was .8lbs and 5.5". At 3 or 4 yrs. Couldn't get the hatch date. Today she is2.41lbs and 7.5" I attached a before and after photos, First pix is from the day I received her February 11 2015 Second pix is April 15 2015.0211151815-02.jpg 0415151351-00.jpg

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii
My Yellow Foot I received in February was .8lbs and 5.5". At 3 or 4 yrs. Couldn't get the hatch date. Today she is2.41lbs and 7.5" I attached a before and after photos, First pix is from the day I received her February 11 2015 Second pix is April 15 2015.View attachment 141956 View attachment 141957

Shes gorgeous. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of environment do you keep her in?

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks for the pics. WoW what a diff since you got her
! The way the shell looks reminds me of
Sunnys. The out line of the scales looks a little more raised up then the middle where the yellow
colour is? If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for her! You are lucky she looks
really healthy now? What kind of set up do you have and temps and humidity? Thanks again

finetrim

West Central Florida
Her environment is out doors. No pix yet. It is a landscaped area I already had, just had to remove some plants and plant new plants. It has a 2x6 lumber pergola like over the area with lattice and the skeleton of vines covering the top, lots of shade she has to look for the sun. The substrate is SW Florida soil sand mix meaning the dirt that was already here, I mulched up a few 30gal trash bags of Avocado leaves for a cover, Though I see Her consuming a lot of the leave while feeding. I used natural slate to make hides. She has never gone to her water dish I figure it's because right after the before pix She started receiving daily soakings for a few weeks then tapered off when She started peeing in he hide. That before pix is the only time I've seen Her drink from a bowl, the day I received Her. She dose consume a lot of fruit that I assume is how She is hydrating I have seen Her drink by dipping Her head down while it's raining or I'm hosing the area. Here in St. Petersburg, FL we have a subtropic climate. This afternoon ended 21 days of tropical rains. It's been a few weeks now but I went out at 1am while there were heavy rains to see how She was doing, by doing so woke Her and I spent at least an hour or so feeding her as She frolicked in the rain nothing like Her face full of slug slim they're plentiful here and She appears to like them, maybe that's why She doesn't like soakings I'm always trying to clean the slime from slug off Her mouth, Actually that is when She the calmest during Her soakings when I'm using my fingers rubbing the slim off Her mouth once She stops tucking Her head in. I do want to mention I've been using a small soft brush on her shell, But I read somewhere here that there shell is sensitive so I my stop that practice. Most of the rain hits the structure over head so it's not direct rain drops. Her food, Papaya, Mango, Banana, Grapes, Raspberry, Pear, Apple, Peach, Mellon, Pineapple, Strawberry, Blueberry, Baby arugula, Watercress, Romaine, Mushroom (Baby bell and wild), Worms by hand (dipped in calcium carbonate), Brown Anoles and Mediterranean Geckos the cats bring home, the Slugs and plants the she lives with. Pix of Her home will be coming. Because it was February when she arrived I built an enclosed home for inside, I'm finding out as she grows It's to small at 3x6', when it was running Day time temp around 85deg. hum. around 85%, it would drop to around 77deg. at night, I use a 100w ceramic in a cage on a thermostat for heat, T5 HO 54w 10.0 UVB Lamp for light, the substrate is cocoa core on one side and small orchid bark on the other side, the one thing I would like to do is put some kind of fan in it to move the air. I have pix of the indoor home but I'm getting an error message when uploading them I'll post this and try a new post for the pix. Oh the Lines and Scales I noticed that also, not sure what to make of it, it's still there and She's growing.

finetrim

West Central Florida
This is the indoor enclosure, 3x6' The base is 2x8 with 1/2" plywood bottom with pond liner to protect it against water. Top is made of 1x2 furring strip glued and screwed and stained. The two front side and top panels and the left side panel are removable you can see the metal clips to hold them in. the top panels are just thin Plexiglas that I did not frame with the 1x2 furring strip, It started warping so till I frame them I use the peices of 2x4 you see on top to keep them from warping up. If need be the hole top comes off, The front is two halves, I take the Plexiglas off and lift the frame off. The rear halve is the hole 6" length, I used 3/4' foam insulation panel om it because of the the walls and cabinets. Theres a T5 HO 54w 10.0 UVB lamp for light, A CHE in a dome to direct heat down not bake the top, and thermostat for heat, the substrate is half cocoa core and small orchid bark with a pile of sphagnum moss. The second pix is through the let opening with out the Plexiglas panel in.IMG_20150803_231639926.jpg IMG_20150804_244947704_HDR.jpg

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Awesome setup and thanks for the info! It'll come in handy for me when I build an enclosure for a hatchling in the future.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Finally. A Yellowfoot that seems to be a Yellowfoot.
Most times it's difficult to tell without a side by side comparison.
since yours is in Florida and kept out doors, you can rest assured that it'll grow nicely. As far as size and weight, I can tell you that it depends on several things that you CAN control such as diet and lodging. Then there is just dumb luck. Many times I've had hatch-mates that were the exact same age that were wildly different in size eating the same food. Living in the same place only feet apart.
That said. Your Yellow looks very nice.
Welcome.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a 6 year old yellow foot tortoise and I am curious if he is growing to the correct size. If anyone has information of the average size of a 6 year old yellow foot I would appreciate the info.

Thank you
I have 2 female yellow footed tortoise's, they are both a little over 6 years old ( 8 and 7 i think) their growth rate has slowed in the last couple years. They are both just under 11 inches and weigh almost 8 pounds each. I believe a male of the same length would weigh less. Hope this helps, Sorry that I can't remember their 6 year stats.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
11778056_10152888457826968_1704422951_n.jpg Hi All,
Wow that is some set up thanks for the pics. I have never seen mine in the water bowl either but just like
you he gets bathed alot? lol I have found that for some reason these YFs in pics that middle part where
it is the yellow colour in the middle of the scales it looks down more then what is around the scales? I think
it is a YF thing really? I wonder does it make them grow faster if they are in a bigger cage? My guys is still
pretty small but he likes maggot sized silkworms? lol I tried even small butterworms he just pooed them out
whole? Thanks

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
I forgot to say Turtulas-Len is 11 inches and 8lbs is that not around the size
of an adult RF? Or at 7-8 years old are they still growing? Thanks

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi,
I forgot to say Turtulas-Len is 11 inches and 8lbs is that not around the size
of an adult RF? Or at 7-8 years old are they still growing? Thanks

Still growing. YFs are bigger than RFs.

"While there are adult Geochelone denticulata that are over 22 inches (55 cm) and even 28 inches (70 cm) in length, these individuals are fairly rare with most reaching only 16 - 20 inches (40 cm – 50 cm). " -http://www.chelonia.org/articles/gdenticulatacare.htm

finetrim

West Central Florida
Hi,
Thanks for the pics. WoW what a diff since you got her
! The way the shell looks reminds me of
Sunnys. The out line of the scales looks a little more raised up then the middle where the yellow
colour is? If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for her! You are lucky she looks
really healthy now? What kind of set up do you have and temps and humidity? Thanks again
She was given to me, She was past around for about two months before I was ask to take her.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
So you got that awesome lady just given to u?? I wish stuff like that happened to me you
lucky dog? lol Thanks

finetrim

West Central Florida
Have some pix of Her out door home, I'll do my best to describe it. This first pix shows the north side I see the wall brick and patio are in need of some pressure washing, Its 2' wide here and about 14' long. The roof is covered with lattice and the skeleton of Jasmine vine. The vine growing in the base was a lot thicker before cleaning out for Her. The bottom left were the vine is growing up there's a concrete hide that's covered by that vine and a Tutti Fruitti bush, though will have to replace She's growing out of fast. It looks like a Hibiscus starting to bloom about center of this section( that little red dot). Top center is a Queen palm that grows out of her home.IMG_20150804_173250988_HDR.jpg This is were the narrow opens up, That's Her night box bottom right, as far as I can tell She has never gone in it, It has heat pad mounted to a wall for cool nights. The Queen Palm is in the center behind that 4x4 with the vine growing up it. She cane walk around either side of it. Above the night box is a 3' diameter Staghorn Fern. Its 8' wide here.
IMG_20150804_173906411_HDR.jpg

This pix shows were she spends most of Her time. There's 2 of Her hides, there the largest pieces of slate I could find called Oyster Bay. The one on the right is over the pit about 8" deep that has 3 China Doll trunks with of course vine going up hem, It's a 3' walled off area, You can see Her path were goes under that wood shelf to a hole I cut into the wall, you can see the bare soil, She often sits under that step gazing out She camps out down there often.
IMG_20150804_173431152_HDR.jpg
Here's the south end. Besides the pit, the bottom right hid is were She spends most of Her time. The vine to the right is cut it was a pandora vine - sometimes called "Bower Vine". The skeleton covers the top with lattice. the Palm is a Licuala grandis (Ruffled Fan Palm Tree). There's about 10 Orchids hanging around none in bloom. The back wall to the right is 27' long. I have to correct my location I'm West Central Florida not South West. It must of been that dream of a on Marco Island. The trap on the left is for that pesky Possum that steals Her Fruit.
IMG_20150804_173400458_HDR.jpg