Yellow Jackets And Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
We seem to have an over abundance of the things year. They are around Spunky enclosure. I even seen one land on her neck yesterday. I literally went into panic mode. Will they harm her? What can i do to get rid of them? No nests have been found. And if they are found they are promptly removed from the area because my next door neighbor is deathly allergic to their sting. Any advice appreciated.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
They are swarming my house too! Ill be interested to see the responses. Even scarier... I have hornets zooming around my backyard :X

My Loves:
My Husband, 2 Dogs, 2 Box turtles, and 1 Betta fish

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Are you in San Antonio? Just curious. Lol those yellow jackets are mean . No kidding and Wasp YIKES .. also got a problem with those black hairy worms, caterpillars or whatever they are.They are everywhere here. I just am so worried they could sting her.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There are often hornets, yellowjackets and/or bees nests in various areas of my outdoor tortoise enclosures. I have never seen evidence of one bothering any of the tortoises. Along with catepillars, snails, slugs, black ants, other insects and small birds. The worst I've ever seen them do is drink the tortoises water. I've never had a problem with them. I ignore them, the tortoises ignore them and they so far have always ignored us!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I often have wasps and hornets buzzing around my outdoor pens as well, I have only ever seen them land for a drink of water, and at this point in the summer they seem to know I refill the water because when I go to fill it they will fly to the fence nearby and wait till I am done then return to their business, when I first started back in May they would buzz at me like how dare I bother them. I have never seen them land on or bother my torts though, so I am pretty sure they are there just for the water source.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I live North of Houston :p not far from San Antonio. The Hornets stay away, they just scare the you know what outta me. I work outside so much that I'm becoming used to the yellow jackets and wasps. I rank them: 1. Hornet=Run!!! 2. Yellow Jacket=jog a three feet away 3. Wasps=I'm not as scared of them after the yellow jacket invasion :p

My Loves:

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Good to know. And Thanks. However i did have one land on Spunkys neck yesterday on the real thin skin right behind her head. It scared me to death. Hopefully it wont happen again. Thanks again. :)

txturtle13 said:
I live North of Houston :p not far from San Antonio. The Hornets stay away, they just scare the you know what outta me. I work outside so much that I'm becoming used to the yellow jackets and wasps. I rank them: 1. Hornet=Run!!! 2. Yellow Jacket=jog a three feet away 3. Wasps=I'm not as scared of them after the yellow jacket invasion :p

My Loves:

Lol. I hear ya. They all freak me out, except honey bees. Lol Ive noticed alot of scorpions here also. They will make me freak out for real. Lol Id take the yellow jackets over the scorpions any day. :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are carnivorous ...so if you are seeing a bunch of them and they are landing on the vegetation then they are eating the aphids that are eating your plants.....so while they are annoying they are actually beneficial to your plants....

I have yet to see the torts even act as though they care that they are there...

Is it possible for them to sting your tort in the soft fleshy part of their neck, sure, it is possible but likely not something that it is wanting to do...

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Good so i wont worry as much..:p
I just wanted to know if theyd pose a problem. Thanks for all the info.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.