Yes...another subspecies ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
Just got my Greek tortoise, Roger, yesterday from Petsmart. I'm looking for a little guidance on his subspecies, age and gender if possible. His shell is 6" in length and 6" in width at the tallest point. My only other care question (and a controversial on to boot) is should I be soaking him and if so, what do I do. I've included some pictures of him and his temporary home.

Attachments

• image-2715014774.png
    image-2715014774.png
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image-2226239672.png
    image-2226239672.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image-1788204242.png
    image-1788204242.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2518961923.png
    image-2518961923.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 48
  • image-4187301071.png
    image-4187301071.png
    187 KB · Views: 67
  • image-107371946.png
    image-107371946.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 63

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Actually looks like you have a girl their, and Im not the best at the Greek species. Looks like a Greaca Iberia to me. More experianced greek tort people should be along.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
I was fearful he may be a girl, not sure what I'd name her.....maybe Roger still. Any other input on gender would be great.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Looks like a female Testudo Graeca Terrestris to me. Definitely not an Ibera, its some sort of North African subspecies of greek.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yes, a soaking is a good idea. So is a fecal test from the Vet.
What was the petstore feeding/ ? you probably need to change the diet. but let her settle for a bit first.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Age is impossible to tell, way too many factors involved. I would soak every 4-5 days and keep fresh water in the habitat daily. Also what state are you in? Any way you can make an enclosure outside, or any way you can make a bigger enclosure inside?

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
She's beautiful! I called Walter Walter even when he was thought to be a she, Roger is a great name.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree with Elliott. I think it's a female Testudo Graeca Terrestris (AKA: golden greek.)

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
The pet store was feeding carrots, grapes, and romaine. I'm starting with kale, spinach, parsley, collard greens, hostas aloe, and jade. I also bought some zoo med pellets. I live in Nebraska. Winter sets in quick here so I plan to make an outdoor enclosure next spring. This is just his temporary cage. We have the stuff to make a two level table, we just haven't gotten there yet.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
On another note, I've decided to rename him/her Terralyn. This is the name they give Richard Rahl's mother in the tv version of the Sword of Truth series. Her name is never mentioned in the book, which is what I wanted to use, but I like Terralyn and it's really the same character just in tv form.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'd keep her off the grapes...fruits are a once a weak in small portions kind of deal.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
Yup, I didn't planning continuing them. Fruit will be a very rare treat. I was getting a little worried for a bit because she hasn't eaten since she's been home that I've noticed but after I left for work this morning my hubby texted to tell me she was chowing down on the salad I left her :). That was the high point of my day so far. Is it normal that she doesn't hide much? I have yet to see her in the log. She sits under her basking lamp almost all the time, even overnight when it's off.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Got lucky finding a girl at PetsMart! They tend to be really male-heavy. For sure get a fecal check done, I get Greeks from almost all of these shipments (it's for sure a recent import) and I think every Greek I've ever checked had at least one type of parasite. They can survive, but don't thrive in most cases until you get them cleaned up. We just treat them all for the common and major parasites, and check them individually after the fact.

For locality, I think most recent shipments are coming in from Jordan, so I tend to think these are Jordanian, Syrian or Lebanese in origin (nothing or almost nothing is coming in from North Africa that I've seen or heard of recently, and I try hard to keep up with it).... I don't bother with the scientific name since within what is considered terrestris I think I have at least 2 or 3 different "groups" that are pretty clearly different, but the classification is so up in the air.... I'm just keeping them in groups that look alike from the same shipments and once the dust settles in 10 years about subspecies, I'll start assigning labels to them all. Right now, the name terrestris is assigned to so many obviously different locales, it doesn't really narrow it down. The original "golden Greeks" stayed very small and were solid, solid yellow.... The last 3 years most imports have pretty significant black banding in them, which I call "Jordanians" and keep my "goldens (solid yellow)" together, separate from these "Jordanians." I have another group that looks more Libyan, but I know they're not Libyan, as they were from a single shipment last year (and Libya wasn't letting animals out while it was getting bombed by its government, and hasn't in a long time). I have another group kinda like this animal you showed that I just have without any ideas what to call it LOL.... Recently a shipment came in with solid yellow animals again (I got a bunch of them, they're beauties), just that nobody seems to pinpoint any of their origin, just the country that they ship out of. I have a hard time thinking that North African animals are shipping out of Amman, Jordan (look at a map), so I consider most or all imports the last few years to be Middle Eastern in natural origin. Most people call them all terrestris, and by definition they might be, but in my opinion, putting these animals all together would clearly be mixing locales. I'm afraid it's never going to be really clear what to label these things as. I personally just do my best to keep them together by look and shipment.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
Ok, another one of those first timer questions....does a vet need me to bring a sample for a fecal test or can he acquire it from the tortoise :/

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
trailerprincess13 said:
Ok, another one of those first timer questions....does a vet need me to bring a sample for a fecal test or can he acquire it from the tortoise :/

Bring in a fresh one if you can (within an hour of your visit), if you cant your tortoise is more than likely going to be pooping sometime while your at the vet.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Yes it is ^^^, it's not an ibera, I have 3 ibera's myself and they nothing like this!! And I know my Greeks very well :) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.