Yet another cactus question

Kim444

5 Year Member
Are all cactus types safe for torts to eat or are their only a few types?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have found most with thorns are ok but watch out I have a cactus without thorns it kind of bumps instead and people tell me it's Toxic .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
I have found most with thorns are ok but watch out I have a cactus without thorns it kind of bumps instead and people tell me it's Toxic .

That sounds like a Euphorb and not a true cactus.

That said, some cacti in garden stores produce alkaloids similar to the peyote cactus. An example being San Pedro cactus, Echinopsis pachanoi. As it is a columnar cactus it'd be pretty difficult for torts to eat it without it being sliced/prepared for them. But if they did consume it they'd presumably be tripping!

I have a lot of orchid cacti, Epiphyllum spp. and hybrids and Dragon fruit cacti which are very similar to each other. I'm thinking they're safe for torts, but they aren't mentioned on the Tortoise Table site. Anyone know for sure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some are safe, some are toxic. I know that organ pipe and all of the opuntia that I have ever seen are safe. There are many species and types or "varieties" of opuntia.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Do opuntia with the fuzzy kind of spines need to have spines removed? I've got a few of the little buggers stuck in my fingers and they're irritating, but not necessarily painful.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I had a cactus with 3in thorns I planted it in my leopard enclosure . The first day they ate all the thorns off the cactus . But I still have the cactus ! Right ! Well the next day in the morning it was gone the torts ate the cactus right down to the ground .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Believe it or not tortoises are sort of adapted to eating cactus with thorns. They have no lips, no teeth or gums. And despite appearances their mouth and tongues are pretty thick skinned, with that being said I usually try to remove the thorns whenever possible, my weak human lip and mouth you know. But if they eat them they should cause no harm.