Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
It's a tortoise or turtle....not a person. An animal is a loved pet. A person who can speak, will tell you what they would like to be called. Respect the people and try to respect the people who are trying to help you and use singular or plural pronouns referring to the animal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, I don't understand the need to use 'they\them' when discussing animals. I thought that designation was for HUMANS whose bodies were a different sex from their minds. In my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with animals. If you don't know the sex yet 'it' is ok, or even 'him.'

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, I don't understand the need to use 'they\them' when discussing animals. I thought that designation was for HUMANS whose bodies were a different sex from their minds. In my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with animals. If you don't know the sex yet 'it' is ok, or even 'him.'
See, and I feel calling someone "they" when they are one sex but are identifying as the other is offensive. If a male identifies as a female and you call them they, to me it's like calling them a he/she or she/he in reverse form and not recognizing that they are one sex but wanting to be recognized as the other.
My cousin, born male, wants to be a female. He dresses like a female and is hoping to get a sex change one day. He does not want to be referred as a he, but a she and called by her female name. Referring to her as a him or a they seems offensive and disrespectful.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
See, and I feel calling someone "they" when they are one sex but are identifying as the other is offensive. If a male identifies as a female and you call them they, to me it's like calling them a he/she or she/he in reverse form and not recognizing that they are one sex but wanting to be recognized as the other.
My cousin, born male, wants to be a female. He dresses like a female and is hoping to get a sex change one day. He does not want to be referred as a he, but a she and called by her female name. Referring to her as a him or a they seems offensive and disrespectful.
I agree! I’d only ever refer to someone as ‘they’ if that’s something they’re wanting, some people don’t like being referred to as either he or she🙂

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Remember 2 things as you read this thread.
1. Broken people are "offended" & absolutely NEED you to know it.
2. If you are raising you grandkids, YOU sucked as a parent. No sugar coating...you just sucked.

LMAO......

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I didn’t realise that was the section this thread had been put in because of the title. I’d presume general tortoise discussion.

There’s honesty, and then there’s being insulting, calling someone ‘ugly’ because of how they’re choosing to express themselves isn’t ok no matter what section this is posted in, least it shouldn’t be.
She can certainly say what she wants about her family, I never said she couldn’t, it’s even one thing to have typed what she typed, but to add a picture of the person isn’t fair, I don’t care if we don’t know her or would recognise her in the streets. I don’t like to see a strangers photo posted online with an insulting message, and being left open for others to be insulting if they want too. It’s really not a good look on the forum, again regardless of the section😣it’s given me the ick at least, but it is what it is.

I guess just be mindful of the fact a lot of you here are older, you get an influx of young new members, some hang around and come across threads like this, some don’t. Regardless, I hate to think of someone who looks similar to said person and feeling shamed for being here.

It may be ‘off topic chit chat’ but it’s still on a tortoise forum, let’s try not to be insulting towards peoples looks and identities, there’s countless weird and wonderful keepers out there, all should feel ‘safe’ to engage here, I think the world would be a pretty boring place without people expressing themselves how they wish through their looks and identities🤷‍♀️
You are missing a point. My granddaughter's partner was born male and is now getting injections to become a female...but I don't care how many injections HE gets, he's a 6'4' ugly woman....he looks like a linebacker...He's big ugly and masculine...that's the truth...I would never say that to HIM...but it's the truth.
I think that you are British, which means you live, think and act differently than the free and easy West Coast of the United States...also...if you are offended by something like this ...STOP READING this thread if it bothers you...cuz this is how I talk and think.
You simply don't have to read this thread if you don't like it. So stop whining and read a different thread...You realize YOU are the only person complaining about this thread. You don't understand or agree with this subject, so just go the freak away and read another thread... that's easy

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I’m confused on what you’re saying they identify as, so I’m going to refer to them as ‘she’.
She has the choice to put herself out there on her own personal platforms, but has no say on her grandmother posting her to a public forum where her pictures are open to scrutiny from strangers.

“she is 6'4" of very ugly woman, the injections are giving her/him (my call) boobies. So damn phoney. I believe they use that description giving them permission to dress and act in a stupid ugly attraction getting way…. if she feels like a male wtf is she doing dressing like a circus streetwalker...Frankly, it's very... oh hell, I really don';t know what it is...clownish, ugly and so disruptive to a family. And I feel soooo sad for her”

You call her ugly, but I find these words quite ugly tbh, I’d never berate a family member on a platform like this, no matter how I felt towards them and their identity. If you truly feel that uncomfortable being in public with her, then maybe don’t be? If our younger generation only acted/dressed to appease older family members, what kind of authentic life is that to lead? If you’re not causing harm to anyone, why not be able to express yourself how you want outside of a professional setting?🙁

I’m not necessarily offended, more just bummed to read this kind of thing on here, it just isn’t appropriate or the place
So stop reading then

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You are missing a point. My granddaughter's partner was born male and is now getting injections to become a female...but I don't care how many injections HE gets, he's a 6'4' ugly woman....he looks like a linebacker...He's big ugly and masculine...that's the truth...I would never say that to HIM...but it's the truth.
I think that you are British, which means you live, think and act differently than the free and easy West Coast of the United States...also...if you are offended by something like this ...STOP READING this thread if it bothers you...cuz this is how I talk and think.
You simply don't have to read this thread if you don't like it. So stop whining and read a different thread...You realize YOU are the only person complaining about this thread. You don't understand or agree with this subject, so just go the freak away and read another thread... that's easy
So he now identifies as she? But you refuse to refer to them as such? Even Barb acknowledged she’d refer to someone by the right pronoun if they’re trans.
Believe me, just because I’m British doesn’t mean I don’t deal with people saying stuff like this over here too🥲 I’ve said a few times it’s not that it deeply offends me so much that I need to desperately avert my eyes😂I was just calling something how I saw it, mean and unnecessary🤷‍♀️just because people haven’t jumped on the thread itself, doesn’t mean there isn’t people that agree with where I’m coming from.. anyway it’s really not that deep, it’s just genuinely the first time I’d seen a comment like it on the forum, so naturally it caught my eye and took me aback a bit, not because of the context but more because of the platform it’s on😕

Status
Not open for further replies.