Zen's first YouTube Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That is a great song with the vid also, enjoyed Zen and the song both...

May I ask you ? what type of substrate are you using? I mean the reason I noticed is that I see those little white ball things in the soil....if those are the little white balls that come in the soil I would change that soil substrate out---when a tort mucks about and samples the dirt and/or eats food pieces that have fallen onto the soil they will consume these little white pieces...since their body can not utilize the white stuff and because it is not a degradable substance it creates a perfect tool for impaction to begin in the tortoise....I would really remove that substrate....also, the rabbit pellets should be switched out especially since they are directly under the heat source....I would use soil (peat moss; http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoo...ier/peat-moss-3-cu-ft-53928.html#.UDAhhhU4PSE) and if you want to add a touch of humidity in the enclosure you can add water to the substrate directly under the heat light/element....

I think you have a beautiful tort, absolutely :D

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I think you have a beautiful tortoise. Such a cute video. I would use coco coir for the substrate and take out the pellets, as well. It looks a little dry. Great video!:)

TheMindBuddah

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
ascott said:
That is a great song with the vid also, enjoyed Zen and the song both...

May I ask you ? what type of substrate are you using? I mean the reason I noticed is that I see those little white ball things in the soil....if those are the little white balls that come in the soil I would change that soil substrate out---when a tort mucks about and samples the dirt and/or eats food pieces that have fallen onto the soil they will consume these little white pieces...since their body can not utilize the white stuff and because it is not a degradable substance it creates a perfect tool for impaction to begin in the tortoise....I would really remove that substrate....also, the rabbit pellets should be switched out especially since they are directly under the heat source....I would use soil (peat moss; http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoo...ier/peat-moss-3-cu-ft-53928.html#.UDAhhhU4PSE) and if you want to add a touch of humidity in the enclosure you can add water to the substrate directly under the heat light/element....

I think you have a beautiful tort, absolutely :D

Thank you Ascott! The soil is Pro Rep Tortoise Life Substrate i think? Just remember picking a large bag with a picture of a tortoise, and it being a mixture of 50/50 mix of soil and sand! The rabbit pellets was going to be phased out from 50% to 25% and then none! The thinking behind it, that it was what they had used as bedding in the pet store so did not want to drop the little fella into a totally alien environment! As am still in the process of trying to find the best environment for his first year in the Viv, before I move to a table like enclosure while indoors! The humidity is a worry with all the talk of pyramiding tortoise with some shocking examples on the web! So any advice and guidance is more than welcome! Will be looking into peat moss & coco coir (From lovelyrosepetal's post below) tomorrow! Give me an excuse to go to a garden centre I have been meaning to visit!

lovelyrosepetal said:
I think you have a beautiful tortoise. Such a cute video. I would use coco coir for the substrate and take out the pellets, as well. It looks a little dry. Great video!:)

Thank you Lovelyrosepetal! Looking like the rabbit pellets are going tomorrow! Lol! As I said above! All advice and guidance is more than welcome! I read somewhere that a sponge or damp moss in the hide and be beneficial! Any opinion on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.