ZigZag Vertebral Scutes

Redfool

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
New hatchling RF with zigzag scutes. Seven vertebral instead of normal five. Other five in same clutch of six, normal. Any ideas on cause?
IMG_3145.jpg
IMG_3146.jpg
IMG_3142.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
No clue but I dig it!! Are you going to keep him and see how he developes as an adult?

daniellenc

Maryland
If my AP cage were already here I’d totally take him and name him oddball! Alas 3-6 month wait

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Do you rinse the eggs when you dig them up before putting them into the incubator?

Just enough to knock off loose dirt. I try to leave the slime layer on. They get nested on Spanish moss. This is the first non-typical scute RF hatchling in many many years. Others in same clutch normal.

Otis1288

Ohio
I have a female(?) cherry head that has extra scutes. Some one here on the forums had said it may be caused by higher incubation temps. I’m no expert though lol

Attachments

• C0458611-84BB-4052-8AB5-92BC65F05872.jpeg
    C0458611-84BB-4052-8AB5-92BC65F05872.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Just enough to knock off loose dirt. I try to leave the slime layer on. They get nested on Spanish moss. This is the first non-typical scute RF hatchling in many many years. Others in same clutch normal.
It is an interesting area of study that really intrigues me. It is more "traditionally" thought that high incubation temps are the main cause of extra scutes. I do believe that is a situation that will give extra scutes and as temperatures creep a bit higher - deformities and neural disorders. However, we see extra scutes more commonly than simply higher incubation temps can explain. I have seen a study where it certainly appears that exposure to possibly fluoride, or maybe a very low alkalinity, may cause abnormal scute formation. I have stopped rinsing any of my eggs. When I moved a few years back, I started seeing more abnormal scutes. I was on well water before, and the new house is municipal water supply- with fluoride and low alkalinity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to raise ducks and chickens. All the literature I read to learn more about them told me that the mucous layer applied to the egg as it was being laid was a protection layer and to not wash it off. I've carried that over to my tortoise eggs, and I don't rinse them off. If they're dirty, oh well. However, I have hatched an aberrant scute or two. The most recent a leopard that was the first to hatch out of the clutch, the others not hatching for two whole weeks afterwards. I'm going to start paying attention to where the eggs are in the pile of eggs in the incubator just to see if that makes a difference.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I know this is old but I am always wondering how this little guy is looking? @Redfool

Eliminator aka Superman has doubled in size in the last 4 months and is doing well. Loves to get outside in the Florida sun and eat hibiscus flowers. Thanks for asking

daniellenc

Maryland
I really want to steal this guy I love the zig zag!! Thanks for updating can’t wait to see more as he grows.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I really want to steal this guy I love the zig zag!! Thanks for updating can’t wait to see more as he grows.

If your serious, it might be a possibility when it warms up in the spring for shipping. Never. Have shipped one before, will have to research. Would like to keep him in the forum.

daniellenc

Maryland
Are you serious????? I’ll pay whatever you need that little guy is seriously awesome looking.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Are you serious????? I’ll pay whatever you need that little guy is seriously awesome looking.

Yeah, I’m serious. Just need to cover shipping and packaging and promise a lifelong home, I’m too old to raise any more hatchlings. New to me, I’ve never shipped a tort before, any pointers as to shipping co.s? Need to wait a few months for warmer weather? Grew up in Silver Spring Md, cold winters compared to Florida. Are you in western, central or eastern shore Md? Will have to PM details later, never have done that either, all new to me.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m in Rockville and work in Silver Spring. Right now day temps are in the 50’s with nights in the 30’s. I’ve shipped tons of small geckos but no torts myself. I’m guessing this guy is still small enough for a deli cup filled with damp moss. Shipping boxes for animals come with styrofoam walls to insert to strengthen the box. Then you line with newspaper or puffy loose styrofoam, insert deli cup, heat pack, and top with the fourth styrofoam wall. This should be adequate with my night time temps still above freezing but winter is coming and these temps won’t hold up long. Skurts new AP cage will be here Tuesday but i haven’t looked at weather for next week yet so we may have to wait until spring if temps below 32 at night are an issue. Maybe someone who ships hatchlings can chime in? @Will or @Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m in Rockville and work in Silver Spring. Right now day temps are in the 50’s with nights in the 30’s. I’ve shipped tons of small geckos but no torts myself. I’m guessing this guy is still small enough for a deli cup filled with damp moss. Shipping boxes for animals come with styrofoam walls to insert to strengthen the box. Then you line with newspaper or puffy loose styrofoam, insert deli cup, heat pack, and top with the fourth styrofoam wall. This should be adequate with my night time temps still above freezing but winter is coming and these temps won’t hold up long. Skurts new AP cage will be here Tuesday but i haven’t looked at weather for next week yet so we may have to wait until spring if temps below 32 at night are an issue. Maybe someone who ships hatchlings can chime in? @Will or @Tom

Lucky you!

Check out this site

https://shipyourreptiles.com/

I’ll come visit Mr Zag!