Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Reptile Bedding

DreamPets

I was curious on this as my dad and bought this instead of my usual Eco Earth Blocks. The reptile shop said its safe for box turtles so he bought it. This will be for both the indoor setups and the outdoor one as the yard was sprayed and I dont feel safe putting them in it, so their new outdoor homes will have bottoms with water drainage for the summer months, and if I dig the homes into the ground, probably the winter as well.

Also, I read on various sites soil/top soil is fine, but what exact brand as everything( yes looking at strictly organic) still looks or smells just weird to me! Im over protective!

They have previously always been outdoor so substrate and housing issues were never a problem!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No. That is not a suitable substrate. It can get moldy when wet.

DreamPets

Thank you Tom. So even just for inside this would not be suitable even if I keep the water on the other side of the home?( another section basically blocked of from water) Safe otherwise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would never use it. Its dry, dusty and it has caused impactions.

We used to use it under the birds when I worked in pet stores many years ago, but they couldn't reach it from their perches.

DreamPets

Ok thank you both. My dad refuses to try to return it or at least get store credit. It put him back $25! So, maybe I can use it to fill the holes the dogs dug in the yard. Plants maybe?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
To add to what the others have said, this stuff is very sharp on the edges. It's ground walnut shells for crying out loud. Take a small amount and rub it into the inside of your elbow. It hurts fast. It will get in the eyes and any other crevice your box turtle has and cause irritation.

DreamPets

Thank you as well! I believe you all, thats why Im not going to use it for them. I was leery trying Eco Earth at first too. So far its the only one I trust! I have some more Eco Earth coming in soon so, Ill keep using what I know. Thats why I mentioned in my question Im even leery about organic soil out there, because I believe they can have other things like rocks and such in it. I bought a couple bags of that to help fill holes in the back yard and the dog found the little pieces of sticks and such! I wont buy that brand again!

You all have been nice and helpful thank you!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Make your own organic compost. It's perfect for boxies

Walnut shells are good for stuffing weighted pin cushions. Your dad should not feel any hesitation about returning it. They will take it back. It happens all the time.

DreamPets

Thank you both! So far Im sticking with Eco Earth but unsure how to make my own compost. My dad decided to return it, but then some family issues came up and we forgot. So, Im just going to use it to fill in holes outside.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Compost happens. Pile up dead leaves, garden waste, kitchen vegetable waste (egg shells, coffee grounds, veggie peels, etc, but no meat or dairy) & wait. Sun & rain help.