Zoo med diet

Minos90

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I have zoomed grassland diet and zoomed gourmet tortoise dirt that I feed to my Russian tortoises. Can I also feed that to my Sulcata?
I just got him on Monday and I fed him dandelion, Timothy hay, and hibiscus flowers on his first night.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use and like the Grassland, but know nothing about the other. I like to soak it in water to make a mush, then mix the greens and hay in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size is your sulcata?

The ZooMed stuff works great if you soak a small amount and then mix it all in with the greens of the day.

Minos90

San Diego
Same here. that's what I do for my Russians. but I saw on the back it has raw protein. Just wasn't sure if a sulcata can eat that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Raw protein"? Are you sure you are reading that correctly. I've never seen that as an ingredient in anything.

Some protein is fine for any species of tortoise, as long as the rest of the diet is good and they are well hydrated. For sulcatas, its best if it is plant protein like from legumes. Clover, alfalfa, peas, and green beans, etc…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry it says crude protein. That's good right ?

Totally fine, depending on the number. If I recall, the ZooMed stuff is very low in protein.

In the old days, protein was the boogeyman for tortoise keepers. It was thought to cause pyramiding. We now know that some vegetable based protein is good for them and necessary.