'zucchini squash' for a leopard?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
This might be a stupid question since it seems like this is a fruit and I know fruits aren't good for leopards. I thought these were vegetables but it's a fruit?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This might be a stupid question since it seems like this is a fruit and I know fruits aren't good for leopards. I thought these were vegetables but it's a fruit?
Its the sugary fruits like strawberry for example, that are bad for non-fruit eating species. Squash is fine as part of a varied diet.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, it’s a fruit. If it has seeds (melon, squash, berries, papaya, cucumber) it is a fruit. Some are lower in sugar than others and zucchini is one of them. I don’t feed much of it but my tortoise gets winter and summer squash and cucumber on occasion. Some experienced people.breeders feed more; it’s got plenty of nutrients. Just keep things varied, as mentioned above.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, it’s a fruit. If it has seeds (melon, squash, berries, papaya, cucumber) it is a fruit. Some are lower in sugar than others and zucchini is one of them. I don’t feed much of it but my tortoise gets winter and summer squash and cucumber on occasion. Some experienced people.breeders feed more; it’s got plenty of nutrients. Just keep things varied, as mentioned above.

Hhmmm, if it has seeds, “it’s a fruit” ? How about pine cones? I think all plants have seeds... right? ??

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
Botanically:

Fruits are seed bearing that develop from the ovary of a flowering plant. Vegetables are from plant parts that aren't from the flower, like the root and stems. Squash: technically a fruit. Cucumbers: fruit. Potato: Vegetable. Beet: Vegetable.
However, you can also categorize foods by culinary definition, which is how people usually think about it. Culinary vegetables are a lot of times botanically fruits, but since they're savory, and not sweet, people think of them like vegetables: ex eggplant, bell peppers.
Fun facts: Strawberries are not exactly fruits, they're aggregate fruits. The difference is how many ovaries the fruit is derived from. True berries come from one flower and one ovary and have many seed. So by botanical definition, Bananas are berries!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live in a close neighborhood...lots of retired seniors and tweakers...anyhow, summer they all have an abundance of zucchini, so as they walk their dogs they take any 'extra' squash from their gardens and toss them over the fence into Big Sam's pen. I collect most of it and take them to the local men's shelter...even a Sulcata should not eat too much squash...lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always grate up a zucchini when I make a new batch of baby tortoise food.

L

LasTortugasNinja

My russian tort and labrador get a treat of zucchini on sundays during the summer. Our plants usually have a 4 or 5 courgettes a week ready for harvest. We eat 'em, and whatever is left on Sunday we chop up for the dogs and tort and mix with their foods.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My russian tort and labrador get a treat of zucchini on sundays during the summer. Our plants usually have a 4 or 5 courgettes a week ready for harvest. We eat 'em, and whatever is left on Sunday we chop up for the dogs and tort and mix with their foods.
You hate plants...and yet you know a word like courgettes...just sayin

L

LasTortugasNinja

You hate plants...and yet you know a word like courgettes...just sayin
I hate the growing and farming of them. I eat them willingly. Show's my disdain for their existence. "ARG! You nasty squash! I eat thee, and send you to the depths of veggie hell!"

My local "snooty market" likes to use multiple terms for the same thing. They'll sell the big grillers as "zucchini" and the slim small ones for stews/steaming as "courgettes" with different prices to boot! It's a hoot. ;)