?’s about my leopard tortoises

Karamun

Location (City and/or State)
San tan valley, Arizona
Hi I have 2 leopard tortoises they are both 6-7 years old my female is about 20lbs and my males is about 9lbs. They have been mating like crazy, sometimes I have to separate them. Are they old enough/ big enough to lay fertile eggs? Last year she laid 2 but crushed them both.
And if they are able to have fertile eggs my next question is exactly what do I need to keep the eggs alive till they hatch? What kind of setup do I need? And how long will they take to hatch?
TIA I tried googling these questions but all the info I found was conflicting.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First they should not be housed together. Tortoises don't do good in pairs and it's a constant stress. Put them together only to mate and then sperate them.
You need an incubator and @Tom can explain better all temps, humidity, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have 2 leopard tortoises they are both 6-7 years old my female is about 20lbs and my males is about 9lbs. They have been mating like crazy, sometimes I have to separate them. Are they old enough/ big enough to lay fertile eggs? Last year she laid 2 but crushed them both.
And if they are able to have fertile eggs my next question is exactly what do I need to keep the eggs alive till they hatch? What kind of setup do I need? And how long will they take to hatch?
TIA I tried googling these questions but all the info I found was conflicting.
Hello and welcome. They are large enough and old enough. She should be digging holes with her back legs and laying them in the ground. Sometimes they drop them on the surface their first time.

Here is the incubation and baby starting info:

Karamun

San tan valley, Arizona
Hello and welcome. They are large enough and old enough. She should be digging holes with her back legs and laying them in the ground. Sometimes they drop them on the surface their first time.

Here is the incubation and baby starting info:
Thank you so much! This is great information