2015 TFO, a retrospective

SteveW

To the delight of few and the chagrin of many, with tongue firmly in cheek, I present the (initial) awards, reflections, and random thoughts on the year that was:

•Most popular word or phrase on TFO
#3. 'Tortoise'
#2. 'Pyramiding'
#1. 'Cute'

•Most informative thread
'How to lose weight, gain muscle and reduce sagging skin'
(Encore postings are available most nights)

•Most serious/technical post
N2torts on Albino and hypomelanism
(Brutha dropped some righteous knowledge)

•Word of the year
'Parroting'
(This is totally true. I looked it up on line)

•Word of the year, honorable mention
'Bolus'
(It's a crappy euphemism)

•Scariest word/phrase combination
'Sulcata' and 'ten gallon aquarium'

•Weirdest thread
The driver's license/sovereign citizen thing. (What?)

•Best example of a complete lack of self awareness
Cranky, smart alec that claims outsider status, yet won't quit posting random threads of dubious value
(This one hits a little close to home)

There must be more, but I will leave that to others.

Cheers!

M

Maggie Cummings

Most advice argued by those who asked...(and others)

Don't allow your tortoise to walk around the floor

Oh and Happy Birthday!.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Most advice argued by those who asked...(and others)

Don't allow your tortoise to walk around the floor

Oh and Happy Birthday!.....

Most common response to "Don't let your tortoise run loose on the floor.": "I'm very careful and its totally safe…" Or the runner up most common retort: "Well its better than being cramped in a tiny cage…"

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Bolus hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahah sh!t me not. Bolus?!?

As a tortoise said to me this morning, "what do you mean new year?, what's that?", oh, I said, an artifact of stupid human culture. Monitoring the passing of time is a really dumb thing we do. Don't worry yourself about it. To which the trio said with their mouths' full of food. "Can we get a little more papaya with this?"

Though it seem Darth was still thinking about carnal thoughts, despite the food. Yes they are all now with graffiti on shell so my Mother-in-law can tell them apart. That the one without the love handles is the male and the two female look very different does not work for her.

How about "Fickle Tortoise Society" oh, that's another thread, and the moniker of most Facebook pages already. Opps. my bad.
20160101_105649.jpg

Happy B-Day!

SteveW

Ok, I don't want this to get awkward, but it's not actually my birthday. Not sure how this particular rumor got started, but it's almost certainly my fault.
The kind gestures are appreciated. Maybe we can redirect them to the new year in general?

Oh and to add the list:

Best tech tip of 2015
•if you have the latest OS update and you attempt to type 'lard**s', it will spell check/autocorrect to 'Kardashian'

SteveW

Bolus hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahah sh!t me not. Bolus?!?

As a tortoise said to me this morning, "what do you mean new year?, what's that?", oh, I said, an artifact of stupid human culture. Monitoring the passing of time is a really dumb thing we do. Don't worry yourself about it. To which the trio said with their mouths' full of food. "Can we get a little more papaya with this?"

Though it seem Darth was still thinking about carnal thoughts, despite the food. Yes they are all now with graffiti on shell so my Mother-in-law can tell them apart. That the one without the love handles is the male and the two female look very different does not work for her.

How about "Fickle Tortoise Society" oh, that's another thread, and the moniker of most Facebook pages already. Opps. my bad.
View attachment 160677

Happy B-Day!

Nice Manouria shot. We had egg for breakfast. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451685368.673349.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Ok, I don't want this to get awkward, but it's not actually my birthday. Not sure how this particular rumor got started, but it's almost certainly my fault.
The kind gestures are appreciated. Maybe we can redirect them to the new year in general?

Oh and to add the list:

Best tech tip of 2015
•if you have the latest OS update and you attempt to type 'lard**s', it will spell check/autocorrect to 'Kardashian'
I feel Steve wants 2 birthdays a year lets make him happy !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451687651.717471.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve:

A lot of new members think it saves time to just add Jan. 1st when prompted to enter your birthday. There are many, MANY members on the January 1st birthday list. You can go to your profile and change it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
To the delight of few and the chagrin of many, with tongue firmly in cheek, I present the (initial) awards, reflections, and random thoughts on the year that was:

•Most popular word or phrase on TFO
#3. 'Tortoise'
#2. 'Pyramiding'
#1. 'Cute'

•Most informative thread
'How to lose weight, gain muscle and reduce sagging skin'
(Encore postings are available most nights)

•Most serious/technical post
N2torts on Albino and hypomelanism
(Brutha dropped some righteous knowledge)

•Word of the year
'Parroting'
(This is totally true. I looked it up on line)

•Word of the year, honorable mention
'Bolus'
(It's a crappy euphemism)

•Scariest word/phrase combination
'Sulcata' and 'ten gallon aquarium'

•Weirdest thread
The driver's license/sovereign citizen thing. (What?)

•Best example of a complete lack of self awareness
Cranky, smart alec that claims outsider status, yet won't quit posting random threads of dubious value
(This one hits a little close to home)

There must be more, but I will leave that to others.

Cheers!
•Most popular birth date.

Goes to 1st of January.

Prairie Mom

You know...I was thinking about a comment of yours the other day...

I believe it was you who questioned in a post whether this was a forum ABOUT tortoises or a forum for people who happen to like tortoises. --Am I paraphrasing alright? Please correct me:) You put out a good question that I'm sure a lot of people will have differing opinions regarding.

I came to my own opinion and when I reflect on the forum in 2015, I say the forum members did a bang-up job of accomplishing BOTH. I learned a lot of interesting things ABOUT tortoises and tortoise keeping, AND I really enjoyed having some silly off-topic fun with people I would never otherwise interact with; the only thing bringing us together being the simple coincidence of owning a tortoise. This is a great place.

SteveW

You know...I was thinking about a comment of yours the other day...

I believe it was you who questioned in a post whether this was a forum ABOUT tortoises or a forum for people who happen to like tortoises. --Am I paraphrasing alright? Please correct me:) You put out a good question that I'm sure a lot of people will have differing opinions regarding.

I came to my own opinion and when I reflect on the forum in 2015, I say the forum members did a bang-up job of accomplishing BOTH. I learned a lot of interesting things ABOUT tortoises and tortoise keeping, AND I really enjoyed having some silly off-topic fun with people I would never otherwise interact with; the only thing bringing us together being the simple coincidence of owning a tortoise. This is a great place.

Hmmm. Sounds like you're trying to take a goofball post and twist it into having some kind of point.

Seems a bit dicey :)

Prairie Mom

Hmmm. Sounds like you're trying to take a goofball post and twist it into having some kind of point.

Seems a bit dicey :)
Okay...FINE!:D You're totally right!
Here's my contribution to your list. ---Heck! I'll make my own! awww...yeah!...

My favorite forum question from 2015 is:
"Did I do something wrong?" <---and then watching how the original poster takes the ensuing responses

Best new off-topic threads for the year are: (A lot of great off-topic activity this year!!! Super fun!)
The ever-going "I Spy" game
"Cold Dark Room" ---extra points for games of darts, armadillos, and a first attempt at a synchronized international viewing of the movie "Beetlejuice." I'm waiting for their book club.
The thread asking "Who is Yvonne G?"
Um...of course, I'm going to list the "Star Wars: Force Awakens" thread
Anything Secret Santa was an absolute blast! What a riot that was!
@waretrop 's greenhouse tour. I liked her pantry tour too.

Best On-topic threads for the year are:
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-young-sulcatas-winter-diet-worked.115259/ -for shiz, yo! This short thread inspired me to do some major tortoise food preservation, investigate other ways of storing food, and has completely changed my winter diet this year.
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-attack-of-affection.112458/#post-1044563 -Need I say anything!? :<3::<3::<3:
-Anything Odin's Gma does to dote on her baby sulcata
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/indoor-enclosure.130200/ -love watching the man build
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...-feb-6-in-redlands.111448/page-3#post-1040490 -really enjoyed the pyramiding presentation

Best forum photos:
Anything from Aldabraman
@AnimalLady 's blatant bikini shot :p;)

Cutest forum kids:
mine
(please take note of my continued use of the word "cute" ;) ha ha! )

Cutest forum sulcata:
mine

Cutest/best forum posts:
mine

Cutest/Best forum avatars:
Mine -HANDS DOWN! -All year long, baby!!! WOOO!
@Yvonne G
@Yellow Turtle01
(Yvonne and Delaney get extra points! Yvonne commemorated/mourned Leonard Nimoy's death with me. Yellow turtle had a star wars themed avatar leading up to opening day of Force awakens with me)
@johnandjade -Holly looks so clever as an avatar pic
@jaizei for the short time he was Russian/sulcata/tortoise

Most confusing forum thread:
"How do you solve a problem like diarrhea" <----see what I did there??:p:<3:

BOOM!!!!
***Now, please imagine that I'm doing a threatening "West side story" gangstyle dance to challenge both Steve as the original poster and whatever poster follows me. ***

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Okay...FINE!:D You're totally right!
Here's my contribution to your list. ---Heck! I'll make my own! awww...yeah!...

My favorite forum question from 2015 is:
"Did I do something wrong?" <---and then watching how the original poster takes the ensuing responses

Best new off-topic threads for the year are: (A lot of great off-topic activity this year!!! Super fun!)
The ever-going "I Spy" game
"Cold Dark Room" ---extra points for games of darts, armadillos, and a first attempt at a synchronized international viewing of the movie "Beetlejuice." I'm waiting for their book club.
The thread asking "Who is Yvonne G?"
Um...of course, I'm going to list the "Star Wars: Force Awakens" thread
Anything Secret Santa was an absolute blast! What a riot that was!
@waretrop 's greenhouse tour. I liked her pantry tour too.

Best On-topic threads for the year are:
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-young-sulcatas-winter-diet-worked.115259/ -for shiz, yo! This short thread inspired me to do some major tortoise food preservation, investigate other ways of storing food, and has completely changed my winter diet this year.
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-attack-of-affection.112458/#post-1044563 -Need I say anything!? :<3::<3::<3:
-Anything Odin's Gma does to dote on her baby sulcata
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/indoor-enclosure.130200/ -love watching the man build
-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...-feb-6-in-redlands.111448/page-3#post-1040490 -really enjoyed the pyramiding presentation

Best forum photos:
Anything from Aldabraman
@AnimalLady 's blatant bikini shot :p;)

Cutest forum kids:
mine
(please take note of my continued use of the word "cute" ;) ha ha! )

Cutest forum sulcata:
mine

Cutest/best forum posts:
mine

Cutest/Best forum avatars:
Mine -HANDS DOWN! -All year long, baby!!! WOOO!
@Yvonne G
@Yellow Turtle01
(Yvonne and Delaney get extra points! Yvonne commemorated/mourned Leonard Nimoy's death with me. Yellow turtle had a star wars themed avatar leading up to opening day of Force awakens with me)
@johnandjade -Holly looks so clever as an avatar pic
@jaizei for the short time he was Russian/sulcata/tortoise

Most confusing forum thread:
"How do you solve a problem like diarrhea" <----see what I did there??:p:<3:

BOOM!!!!
***Now, please imagine that I'm doing a threatening "West side story" gangstyle dance to challenge both Steve as the original poster and whatever poster follows me. ***
Where do I find the bikini shot :D