24 and Still Growing

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Back on January 12 I got a good weight on Walker my adult Sulcata which I hadn't done for years. Picture 007.jpgPicture 008 copy.jpgPicture 010.jpg Today weighed him again and has gained 11 pounds at 146.4. A few years ago I noticed his beak was a little ragged so have been working on that and have seen improvement as time goes on.Picture 008.close.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! A fine-looking animal. Will was just here this week-end, but when he comes again in three months I'll ask him to help me weigh Dudley, who was slightly over 100lbs several years ago.

Remind me, did you raise Walker from hatchling size?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow! A fine-looking animal. Will was just here this week-end, but when he comes again in three months I'll ask him to help me weigh Dudley, who was slightly over 100lbs several years ago.

Remind me, did you raise Walker from hatchling size?
Yes I did, I went to the Orlando Show in 1996 to get a mep from Vic and when I saw the hatchling sulcatas I needed one of them too.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

Len B

10 Year Member!
Beautiful tort! How do you work on beak!?
Actually he does most of the work. During winter I feed daily naturally dehydrated opuntia pads that are tough and fibrous that's hard for him to bite through. during spring and summer he gets mostly new growth pads that are more tender. I have a large wild grape vine that I feed him the new growth tougher stems before they turn woody, along with the leaves. I quarter cut carrots length ways to avoid accidental chocking and leave them long so he has to bite them into pieces to eat. In the fall he gets the stems and leaves from large hosta plants before they die back for winter. I have some pretty tough thistle plants that he eats and dry mazuri. And he eats many of the normal weeds and plants that sulcatas eat. cuttle bone also helps. I think the tough cactus is the largest factor but not sure. Whatever, his beak looks better to me but it didn't happen overnight.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Len he looks awesome. makes me want to move just so I can have one.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Actually he does most of the work. During winter I feed daily naturally dehydrated opuntia pads that are tough and fibrous that's hard for him to bite through. during spring and summer he gets mostly new growth pads that are more tender. I have a large wild grape vine that I feed him the new growth tougher stems before they turn woody, along with the leaves. I quarter cut carrots length ways to avoid accidental chocking and leave them long so he has to bite them into pieces to eat. In the fall he gets the stems and leaves from large hosta plants before they die back for winter. I have some pretty tough thistle plants that he eats and dry mazuri. And he eats many of the normal weeds and plants that sulcatas eat. cuttle bone also helps. I think the tough cactus is the largest factor but not sure. Whatever, his beak looks better to me but it didn't happen overnight.
Thanks good to know. My little guy is only 5 pounds but nice to know for the future