8*4 enclosure lighting

incognet

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
We're in the process of buying lights for my new Aldabra enclosure. Arcadia LumenIZE is a good (though expensive) product line; I wish it had been available for my Boxie's stock tank (JUN 2023). Little Aldabra's enclosure will be slightly larger (96" x 48" x 48") and require more lighting fixtures. The previous owner drilled several holes on ceiling panel which could be used to suspend new fixtures (ie: steel rod or cable). Additional holes may be needed, depending on what combination of light fixtures we use...

Option Z: 1x LumenIZE 48" Jungle Dawn; 1x LumenIZE 48" UVB kit. [[LEAST EXPENSIVE]]

Option A: 2x LumenIZE 48" Jungle Dawn; 1x LumenIZE 48" UVB kit. [[BEST OPTION?]]

Option B: 2x LumenIZE 35" Jungle Dawn; 2x LumenIZE 36" UVB kit. [[UVB OVERKILL?]]

Option C: 4x LumenIZE 23" Jungle Dawn; 2x LumenIZE 24" UVB kit. [[MOST EXPENSIVE]]

I doubt that Option Z provides sufficient light, based on my experience with dual bulb T5 fixture in my Boxie tank. Options A, B and C are worth consideration, however. Arcadia solar bulbs, (50-75w flood) will be used in the basking zone. I'll probably keep interior shelf/rack on LH side of enclosure, and hang lamps from it. Feedback is appreciated. 😃

Attachments

• Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image000001(4).jpg
    image000001(4).jpg
    186 KB · Views: 2
  • image000002(3).jpg
    image000002(3).jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Have you checked out the lightng guide by Arcadia: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/

I wonder how it's advice transfers to their new Lumenize line. Also a Solarmeter will be your mest guide with mounting height. I can't really comment more as I have no experience with the Lumenize line.

This thread might help with finding others with experience with these bulbs: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/lumenize-pro-t5-bulbs-and-fixtures.215730/

Also, I think @Alex and the Redfoot has done some reading on them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
For the UVB, I'd turn the fixture to be parallel with the end wall and move it closer to one end, over the basking area right next to the basking bulb.

The Arcadia Jungle Dawns are brighter than the T5s of the same length. Arcadia says the 4ft T5s are about 5000 lux at 10", vs 16000 lux @ 12" for the LED.

The first 2 layouts that come to mind, specifically using the Arcadia lights are these, tho might need to sister a LED to the UVB light to brighten the basking area or if you only run the UVB for part of the day. Since you have the T5 for the box turtle, you might put that in there to give you an idea of how the light works in that space.

Untitledfff.png
Untitledffff.png

incognet

Arkansas
For the UVB, I'd turn the fixture to be parallel with the end wall and move it closer to one end, over the basking area right next to the basking bulb.

The Arcadia Jungle Dawns are brighter than the T5s of the same length. Arcadia says the 4ft T5s are about 5000 lux at 10", vs 16000 lux @ 12" for the LED.

The first 2 layouts that come to mind, specifically using the Arcadia lights are these, tho might need to sister a LED to the UVB light to brighten the basking area or if you only run the UVB for part of the day. Since you have the T5 for the box turtle, you might put that in there to give you an idea of how the light works in that space.

View attachment 372346
View attachment 372347
That's a great suggestion... I didn't even consider short (relative to Jungle Dawn LED bar), perpendicular UVB light placement.

1x 48" LED bar may actually be enough for this enclosure size, but I'm a little worried about light coverage on periphery.

incognet

Arkansas
Have you checked out the lightng guide by Arcadia: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/

I wonder how it's advice transfers to their new Lumenize line. Also a Solarmeter will be your mest guide with mounting height. I can't really comment more as I have no experience with the Lumenize line.

This thread might help with finding others with experience with these bulbs: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/lumenize-pro-t5-bulbs-and-fixtures.215730/

Also, I think @Alex and the Redfoot has done some reading on them.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me that Arcadia has lighting guides. I used their site while designing Boxie's tank.

I'll purchase a Solarmeter from my usual lighting source. This has become an essential item; we can't just rely on borrowed UV meter during initial setup.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Nice! I'd like to hear your impressions once lighting is hung... especially how they compare (weight, mounting, reflector) with traditional T5 fixtures.
Yep. I plan to. Just need a day to do it when it's not so hot. I have respiratory issues and this heat is causing utter havoc on my lungs.

incognet

Arkansas
Yep. I plan to. Just need a day to do it when it's not so hot. I have respiratory issues and this heat is causing utter havoc on my lungs.
I can relate. We'd struggle without AC and HEPA filtration in this climate. It's been a few days since I could work outside (even the garage where tortoise enclosure is stored).

incognet

Arkansas

View attachment 372346
View attachment 372347
Those were excellent suggestions, which I've incorporated in our v.2 layout sketches. Perpendicular (relative to LED bar) orientation of UVB light makes a lot of sense, and won't necessitate drilling as many additional holes.

48" UVB light is disproportionately large for this enclosure, according to one member of Reptile Lighting FB group; 24"-36" should be adequate. Alternative layouts were suggested there, including multiple basking lamps, 45 degree "corner" orientation of UVB lamp and SANSI spot lamp to better illuminate basking zone. Only the last item (SANSI lamp) would be simple to implement...

Layout A:

2x 48" LumenIZE Jungle Dawn LED
1x 24" LumenIZE UVB kit
1x basking lamp (100w Arcadia Solar?)
1x or 2x SANSI spotlights

Layout B:

1x 36" LumenIZE UVB kit
2x basking lamp (75w Arcadia Solar?)
1x SANSI spotlight

Layout C:

1x 24" LumenIZE UVB kit
2x basking lamp (75w Arcadia Solar?)
1x SANSI spotlight

I have no experience with multi-lamp basking zones. We're not completely opposed to the idea... I'm just not sure that it's necessary or practical. A radiant heat panel (for nighttime use) is also planned. I haven't settled on a mounting location yet, but will discuss with Bob of Pro Heat tomorrow

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1718820779603.jpg
    FB_IMG_1718820779603.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240619_133411_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_133411_Facebook.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240619_133406_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_133406_Facebook.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Light3.jpg
    Light3.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
These are great designs. Thank you for sharing!
Multiple basking lamps setup is good idea because you create a basking area better matching UVB exposure area.

I wonder for what species lamp installation heights were specified. 14-16 inches for a UVB lamp (especially 14%) is a UVI 6-7... And intensive IR-A (basking bulb at 6") could be a factor in pyramiding (this is based on older F. Baines articles and perhaps an outdated information).

I hope jaizei can add some comments.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Multiple basking lamps setup is good idea because you create a basking area better matching UVB exposure area.

I wonder for what species lamp installation heights were specified. 14-16 inches for a UVB lamp (especially 14%) is a UVI 6-7... And intensive IR-A (basking bulb at 6") could be a factor in pyramiding (this is based on older F. Baines articles and perhaps an outdated information).

The arcadia lighting guide recommends the 12% UVB lamp at the height of 12-18 inches. 14-16 inches sounds pretty low for a 14% lamp. I think UVI 4-6 is recommended for Aldabra basking zones (ferguson zone three). But again, I am not familiar with Aldabras...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I didn't write it out, but I had it scaled to be a 24" UVB. I think one of the reasons for the diagonal placement of the UVB is that they often advise for lizards and it's easier to make an elevated basking area in the corner. Two, in many enclosures the light won't fit if it is the same measurement as the depth of the enclosure: I think that's also why one of their examples shows the UVB extending towards the center between the other strips.

The multiple basking lamp setup is usually for larger animals, depending on how long you keep them in this enclosure, it might be easier to start with 2 instead of adding another later as the animal grows. Having more than one with overlapping coverage may allow you to put the lights higher than if you only had 1. Because of the height, swapping out the keyless fixture with a dome that can be chainhung might be easier long term.

I'd probably do something between A & B. 24" UVB, 2 basking bulbs. Add other LEDs based on how that looks.

incognet

Arkansas

You're welcome... and thanks for commenting!

I suspect that FB enclosure template is for a prehensile-tailed skink, since person chatting with me has that species as his FB profile. 🦎

6" seems too low for a basking lamp; my boxie's 100w lamp isn't nearly that close. I don't recall the exact height, but it's roughly the same as other bulbs of enclosure.

((NOTE: Please ignore the fogger... it's been removed from enclosure))

Attachments

• PXL_20230628_163419770.jpg
    PXL_20230628_163419770.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 2105314184.jpg
    2105314184.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You're welcome... and thanks for commenting!

I suspect that FB enclosure template is for a prehensile-tailed skink, since person chatting with me has that species as his FB profile. 🦎

6" seems too low for a basking lamp; my boxie's 100w lamp isn't nearly that close. I don't recall the exact height, but it's roughly the same as other bulbs of enclosure.

((NOTE: Please ignore the fogger... it's been removed from enclosure))
Now I get it - it wasn't a design tailored for your tortoise but more of "how I've done it". Lamp heights and mention of 14% UVB lamp make sense then.

incognet

Arkansas
The arcadia lighting guide recommends the 12% UVB lamp at the height of 12-18 inches. 14-16 inches sounds pretty low for a 14% lamp. I think UVI 4-6 is recommended for Aldabra basking zones (ferguson zone three). But again, I am not familiar with Aldabras...
Yeah. Aldabras are listed as "full sun baskers" on their guide, so a 14% lamp should be 18-24" away.

I'm vacillating between a 12% lamp or 14% lamp for this enclosure. The latter may offer more flexibility on placement (ie: could be slightly higher and "overshadow" basking lamp). Conversely, a 12% lamp might abrade the reflector of basking lamp if you place them both at appropriate heights.

Either way, the UVB lamp cannot be placed below (or extremely close to) a basking lamp without risk of damage (afaik).

What do you folks think?

incognet

Arkansas
I didn't write it out, but I had it scaled to be a 24" UVB. I think one of the reasons for the diagonal placement of the UVB is that they often advise for lizards and it's easier to make an elevated basking area in the corner. Two, in many enclosures the light won't fit if it is the same measurement as the depth of the enclosure: I think that's also why one of their examples shows the UVB extending towards the center between the other strips.

The multiple basking lamp setup is usually for larger animals, depending on how long you keep them in this enclosure, it might be easier to start with 2 instead of adding another later as the animal grows. Having more than one with overlapping coverage may allow you to put the lights higher than if you only had 1. Because of the height, swapping out the keyless fixture with a dome that can be chainhung might be easier long term.

I'd probably do something between A & B. 24" UVB, 2 basking bulbs. Add other LEDs based on how that looks.
That makes sense. I can't imagine any shellbacks, except the pancake tortoise, using y-axis of this enclosure. I think we'll do as you suggest (blend of Layout A & B). I'll order 2x reflector lamps and 2x Arcadia solar bulbs; we can always hold 2nd lamp in reserve if I problems with setup.

How much wattage do you think is appropriate, assuming 2 basking lamps are used? I was thinking 2x 75w Solar Flood in 8" reflectors and 14% UVB bulb. There's a valid argument to use 5.5" reflectors, however.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yeah. Aldabras are listed as "full sun baskers" on their guide, so a 14% lamp should be 18-24" away.

I'm vacillating between a 12% lamp or 14% lamp for this enclosure. The latter may offer more flexibility on placement (ie: could be slightly higher and "overshadow" basking lamp). Conversely, a 12% lamp might abrade the reflector of basking lamp if you place them both at appropriate heights.

Either way, the UVB lamp cannot be placed below (or extremely close to) a basking lamp without risk of damage (afaik).

What do you folks think?
Overshadowing UVB with a basking lamp dome, perhaps, isn't a good thing. Since you have a Solarmeter you can assess and mitigate the effect by adjusting lamp height, distance in-between lamps or dome shapes or pointing angle of the basking lamps. This page has some nice illustrations of the UV shade effect: https://tomaskas.co.uk/what-is-uv-shadow-and-how-do-i-avoid-it/

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I think you will be fine with a 12% bulb run for 4 hours day from 10-2. Aldabras, don't really bask and they don't like the sun. Where they come from if they do not find shade on a full sun day they are dead, guaranteed. It is one of my biggest fears for our group.

On a cool morning they may warm up in the sun for a brief period of time but that would be about the extent of their basking. They would also be getting little to no UV exposure at that time.

I wouldn't worry about providing a basking spot in the indoor enclosure. Just keep the air temp 80-85 all over during the day time. If they want to warm up a little bit extra they will find the source of the heat and sit under it.

If it were me I would probably run 1 or 2 Arcadia 12% bulbs, two chicken brooder heat panels and whatever the cheapest LED lights I could find on Amazon to provide ambient lighting for him.

incognet

Arkansas
Tahabl
I think you will be fine with a 12% bulb run for 4 hours day from 10-2. Aldabras, don't really bask and they don't like the sun. Where they come from if they do not find shade on a full sun day they are dead, guaranteed. It is one of my biggest fears for our group.

On a cool morning they may warm up in the sun for a brief period of time but that would be about the extent of their basking. They would also be getting little to no UV exposure at that time.

I wouldn't worry about providing a basking spot in the indoor enclosure. Just keep the air temp 80-85 all over during the day time. If they want to warm up a little bit extra they will find the source of the heat and sit under it.

If it were me I would probably run 1 or 2 Arcadia 12% bulbs, two chicken brooder heat panels and whatever the cheapest LED lights I could find on Amazon to provide ambient lighting for him.
That's useful information. Thank you!

We looked at chicken brooder heat panels during our latest TSC-Sutherlands-Atwoods circuit. The models I saw were broadly similar to reptile RHP, but made-in-China and significantly less expensive. Ultimately, we settled on RHP... but the choice was not easy to make.

While the basking lamp may turn out to be unnecessary, I bought a single Arcadia reflector and 75w bulbs to experiment with. We're concerned about heat loss through floor/walls after conversation with Bob of Pro Heat.