911 dog bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
lovelyrosepetal said:
I am so sorry that this happened to your baby. I hope it continues to get better.

Do you know who the dog belongs to? Maybe you can get the owner to foot the vet bill or at least get them to keep their dog from hurting someone else's pet.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

YA but they are worst off then me and they wouldnt be able to pay. the money is not an issue but by babies health.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
jessicasully said:
lovelyrosepetal said:
I am so sorry that this happened to your baby. I hope it continues to get better.

Do you know who the dog belongs to? Maybe you can get the owner to foot the vet bill or at least get them to keep their dog from hurting someone else's pet.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

YA but they are worst off then me and they wouldnt be able to pay. the money is not an issue but by babies health.

Are the owners of the dog sorry this happened and are they going to keep better control over their dog now? I am relieved that your baby is going to be ok! I am sorry you had to go through this!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Concerning the weight of your little guy, my baby sulcata, “Little Ricky" is two weeks shy of 6 months +/- 1-2weeks and he weights in at 233gms right now after a rather large bm. This would be one of Toms babies. He always has food to eat and is being raised in a humidity enclosure with a humid hide.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
OMG! I'm so sorry! I hope your baby recovers quickly!! :(

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am glad your little one is okay. How traumatizing for you and your little one.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm so happy your little guy is going to be ok!!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
jessicasully said:
DrewsLife727 said:
Was it your dog?

no not my dog... But now I'm worried his back legs are sliding out I don't know if they are sore or if there is a issue! Been crying all day. And now I'm really scared!

My heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I hope that your baby makes a complete recovery and that your neighbors keep better control over their dog so this is never an issue for you again.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sorry about your baby, I hope for a full recovery! I know if it would have happened to one of mine, it would have been hell to pay! My torts are my kids! Keep us posted!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
First of all, there's a few things you need to be aware of. Even if your neighbors are financially worse off than you, there's is a way to recoup some of the cost. If you or they own a house, then you would have house insurance. Under the most basic policies, any injury to a person or animal is covered under the policy. You may want to check into it. You say mo et isn't an issue, but this isn't about recouping vet bills only. This would be a deterrent to let their dog loose to come over your place and cause damage (in this case the damage is the life of your tort). Secondly, you need to secure the lid with a lock or some other security features. Third, don't let the liveliness of your baby fool you into thinking that all is fine. Your baby went through a traumatic experience. His little body naturally will look as though it isn't injured. It's a survival mechanism that they are born with. But, things may not be what they seem. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. Just be aware of this fact. Finally, the pain medication you are giving your baby may slow things down considerably. By that i mean, you may ser him sleep more, eat less, and poop less often. What's Important is to make sure he is drinking water and has access to water for drinking. There's some here that may still give an injured baby soaks. I would just wait and see. If he's not eating or drinking, then i would do the soaks because not giving him water is worse than leaving him dry and dehydrated. Is there anyway you can post a pic of the injury here? Please keep us posted.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Here is some pics....

Update: he is eating and drinking good. He is still having trouble with his back leg but all in all im happy with the progress

sibi said:
First of all, there's a few things you need to be aware of. Even if your neighbors are financially worse off than you, there's is a way to recoup some of the cost. If you or they own a house, then you would have house insurance. Under the most basic policies, any injury to a person or animal is covered under the policy. You may want to check into it. You say mo et isn't an issue, but this isn't about recouping vet bills only. This would be a deterrent to let their dog loose to come over your place and cause damage (in this case the damage is the life of your tort). Secondly, you need to secure the lid with a lock or some other security features. Third, don't let the liveliness of your baby fool you into thinking that all is fine. Your baby went through a traumatic experience. His little body naturally will look as though it isn't injured. It's a survival mechanism that they are born with. But, things may not be what they seem. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. Just be aware of this fact. Finally, the pain medication you are giving your baby may slow things down considerably. By that i mean, you may ser him sleep more, eat less, and poop less often. What's Important is to make sure he is drinking water and has access to water for drinking. There's some here that may still give an injured baby soaks. I would just wait and see. If he's not eating or drinking, then i would do the soaks because not giving him water is worse than leaving him dry and dehydrated. Is there anyway you can post a pic of the injury here? Please keep us posted.

I spoke with the owner of the house the rents have to move or get rid of the dog. I guess they have had issue with that dog before

Attachments

• DSC02259.JPG
    DSC02259.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02257.JPG
    DSC02257.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02256.JPG
    DSC02256.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02255.JPG
    DSC02255.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02254.JPG
    DSC02254.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 68

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I am so sorry that this happened to your sweet little one. I am glad that it is recovering well. It is apparent that you care a lot about it. Wishing a speedy recovery!

Char

5 Year Member
jacksonville fl
I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby.. No matter what they are responsible for all vet bills.. If need be set up a payment plan (be sure to get a police report so they can't back out of it.)
I went through it last summer a Husky 3 streets back found it's way in my yard and was able to get it's front legs in my pen and killed the 2 tortoises I had at the time sadly they must of been sleeping in the corner.
I not only talked to the owner of the dog but also called the police and made a report. I then had to go back to them since the guy failed to come to my house within the hour like he said. After a bit of back and forth on their part I not only reminded them there was a police report but that I was going to call animal control on Monday, he asked what it would cost to replace them I told him they had the nerve to tell me I was crazy for having spent that kind of money on them.. I went home Mad but within 2 hour the guy should up with money asked me not to call animal control but was never really sorry..

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Im very happy to say my babies leg is much better the swelling is gone and his wounds look great. Recheck in a few days

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
jessicasully said:
Im very happy to say my babies leg is much better the swelling is gone and his wounds look great. Recheck in a few days

WONDERFUL!

I have neighbors that have 3 little poodles and when Surge was around, he kept them in check and away from the fence. Now that he is gone, the cat has no concept of security duty, so they pace the fence line and bark when they are outside.

They have no idea about the baby leopards in the back of the yard but they sure do want a chance at WalkingRock! As protective as WalkingRock is of HIS yard (he made the point to Surge years ago as to who's yard it REALLY was!) I'm really afraid for the little dogs if they do get into WalkingRocks Realm! I'm afaid they might sue me for the dogs broken bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.