A brief look at some of my enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Turtlmom asked about enclosures in another thread, so I thought I would take this time to show you what I do. Unfortunately my camera is still with my daughter, so these are actually some older pictures. First off, I don't have the perfect enclosure yet myself. :D I will say I am working (very slowly) on making my dream outdoor enclosure. So far, all I have managed is getting the land cleaned up, old fencing out, a start at managing the old grape vine, and I did get my two weeping mulberry trees planted. I can't recall the exact measurements but something like 40' by 150'. So it'll be some time in the making.

My current way to set up outdoor enclosures are like the following one. This one came from revamping an old enclosure that had set empty for years. I liked it and more importantly the hingebacks seemed to like it. So I started revamping several other old ones of the same basic style.

These pictures are all from right after we remodeled it, so the plants have not yet naturally spread out to cover more. What I like about this first picture, is you can see there is some natural shading coming from a tree outside of the enclosure, yet at the same time we do have patches of sunlight. There is a supported wire lip part way around, which you do need for the hingebacks as they are great climbers. What this doesn't show is at the top, we also put back on a PCV spray setup, which makes keeping humidity up a lot easier on hot summer days. The water looks shallow, but actually it is deep enough for complete soakings and at one point even a swim.

126.jpg

127.jpg

131.jpg

018.jpg

123.jpg

134.jpg

For inside, this is an example of an enclosure fixed for a single Bells during isolation. With most adults, it's a waste of time (atleast for me) to try the real plants as they stomp them down pretty good. As you can see one hide has leaf matter the other I left plain. Please excuse the old and rather stained food dish I used.
005.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

These are examples of 40 gallon breeders I had set up for some hatchlings. Actually the fifth and sixth is a 20 gal long. The fourth one shows pretty well, the fact that I try to have little hills to climb.
067-1.jpg

012-2-1.jpg

004-2-1.jpg

002-2-1.jpg

043-2-1.jpg

039-2-1.jpg

047-3.jpg

018-2-1.jpg

So see, nothing special about my enclosures, but they work for me.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
RE: A breif look at some of my enclosures

I think that's an awesome enclosure! Pff, 'nothing special'. Give yourself more credit :-D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

tortuga_please said:
I think that's an awesome enclosure! Pff, 'nothing special'. Give yourself more credit :-D

:D Wait until I can invite you all into my dream enclosure plex, then you will see special. :cool: Thank you for the comment. It actually looked much better once it "aged" and the plants took hold.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California

Tort Heaven.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Jacob said:
Tort Heaven.

:D Well working on it. :D Thank you!

This is what the outdoor enclosure area looked like before we started. It was once an enclosure for NA Wood turtle. I am not sure how many years it just sat unused. :( :
087-1.jpg

088-1.jpg

The water area is actually a partially filled in preformed pool that had scrunched in a bit. Rather then taking it out, we just used blocks, rocks, and the pebbles to fill it in to varying degrees.
014.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

Your enclosures are great, as I'm sure you know, but I'm loving that little 40 gal. breeder with the flowers. I couldn't tell from the picture, so what are the hatchlings? I was thinking of doing something like your pond with all the stones for Pio. She never sits in her pond, only drinks from it, and I love the look of yours.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

terryo said:
Your enclosures are great, as I'm sure you know, but I'm loving that little 40 gal. breeder with the flowers. I couldn't tell from the picture, so what are the hatchlings? I was thinking of doing something like your pond with all the stones for Pio. She never sits in her pond, only drinks from it, and I love the look of yours.

Why thank you Mam! Coming from you that means a lot. They are all Bells, except the two pictures of the 20 gal is a Spekii hatchling. I think figuring what to do with the pond, was the biggest challenge of all. The rocks are great at camouflaging that black plastic and covering problems the old pool had gotten with age. Like it has a low point on the one side, so water leaks out there. I also have to be sure, to ease in the higher spots, so nobody would try a high dive and end up on their backs.

It's actually at this same point in a couple of other of the remodels. Most of my old enclosures had pools, which now I have to rethink how to incorporate them. It also seems that the smaller rocks I like best, are not to be found at any of the stores around here, but rather are in store parking lot islands. Not quite to the point of "borrowing" a few yet. :D

I thought Pio had a neat stream with even a waterfall in it already?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC

These are awesome enclosures I love how secure your outdoor one looks...I'm super paranoid about something carrying Levi off

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b

They look nice. Did a bells hingeback sample that hosta?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Why can't any of my ideas for enclosure turn out like yours. They look fantastic...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Benjamin said:
They look nice. Did a bells hingeback sample that hosta?

No to be honest, I have not saw any of my hingebacks actually eat from a living planted plant. The tip of that hosta leaf had started to turn yellow, so I had ripped it off. :cool: :D

ShadowRancher said:
These are awesome enclosures I love how secure your outdoor one looks...I'm super paranoid about something carrying Levi off

:D Your eyes deceive you a bit. Actually I used chicken wire for the walls, if a really determined animal wanted in, it could most likely rip thru the wire. My belief is, if they never first find out there is something in there to eat, predators don't try to get into it.

Second, we left the wire so it is not taunt. The thought was it makes it harder to climb for the would be predators. My cats however, climb up it all the time using the wooden posts... either to get on the tree next to it or the garage roof. Plus they love to lay in the sun on top of the wooden rafters. Currently there is also no roof on top. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I love them. I hope I can get mine half as nice would be great. Putting into FAVS for inspiration.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

dmarcus said:
Why can't any of my ideas for enclosure turn out like yours. They look fantastic...

:D Thanks! I usually have no plan, nor any rhyme or reason, when I start an enclosure. I just make sure I end up with all the basics covered. A neat thing about when we work with our tortoise enclosures to me, is what doesn't work right or end up as we imagine it, can as a rule easily be changed and something new tried. Nothing is usually too big or bulky for even a weak old woman like me to move around. Plants if they don't work in one spot, just move them to a new spot or another enclosure. I have a basic list of plants I start all my enclosures with, then I just add something for a splash of color, a bit of humor, or to make it more natural looking. I constantly keep an eye out for things to use in my enclosures or around them. In the end, sometimes it all comes together. ;)

I guess a tip I would give everybody too is, be sure to plant the enclosure not only for your tortoise, but for you. If you like how it looks, you will spend more time out there enjoying it and thus more time enjoying and observing your tortoises.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

I thought Pio had a neat stream with even a waterfall in it already?

I used to have a stream in Pio's enclosure, but I took it out and now she has a pond, but I think it's too deep for her because when she goes in, it covers most her except for her head and neck and a little of her shell. Toward the end of the Summer I only saw her taking drinks from it. I might just put some small stones in it to make it a bit more shallow.

BeevMom

5 Year Member
Hi Jacquie, these are great! I am getting some good inspiration from your pics. Do you think this setup would be good for my Bell's? I just have the one and I'm moving into a house with a decent sized yard in June. It wouldn't be as large as your outdoor enclosure, but close to it. Great pics! :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BeevMom said:
Hi Jacquie, these are great! I am getting some good inspiration from your pics. Do you think this setup would be good for my Bell's? I just have the one and I'm moving into a house with a decent sized yard in June. It wouldn't be as large as your outdoor enclosure, but close to it. Great pics! :)

Thank you. Yes it would work for your Bell's too. Might want just a shade more sun in part of the enclosure then this one gets. The Homes and Erosa go more for shade and humid environments. Bells and Spekiis would enjoy a bit more of the sun. Not too much sun, because they will don't like those temps high either. :cool: The Bells do a little climbing, but not like those Erosa and Homes do. :D Still keep it in mind, when building.

Congrats on the new house!

Status
Not open for further replies.