A few questions...

TheSulcata

Plug the thermostat into the wall, then plug the oil heater into the receptacle on the thermostat. Mount the probe far away from the heater, and set the thermostat's dial to about 80-85. Watch the temperature closely for a few days and adjust as needed.

Having a thermometer that records the daily highs and lows is helpful.
Do you know what the spots on the shell are, tom?

TheSulcata

Hmm... does anybody know what this is? I can get a better picture in the morning

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
your pictures aren't clear enough for us to make a good guess.

TheSulcata

I also just moved them outside with a new substrate. I don't know if that makes a difference

TheSulcata

Looks like normal patterning to me.
Ik it is not just patterning... because it just showed up, and they are just white spots all over him... and I am only asking again because I kind of want more than one opinion on this.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hmm... does anybody know what this is? I can get a better picture in the morning
I believe what you are seeing is just a spot with lack of initial pigment in the new keratin. You see that often with tortoises in captivity and especially ones growing a bit faster and indoors a lot. Even my spotted turtles, known for their jet black shells, will have new growth that comes in that turns into lighter, reddish or yellowish streaks that eventually darkens up in a few years. Redfoots seem to develop much more 'marbeling' again with faster growth and indoors, that you would not see in wild caught specimens. Leopards many times come in with much less pigment commonly and and fewer black in the carapace especially in the first year or so. I've seen it with some of my sulcatas, but those lighter spots, as they grow out, seem to fill in with color.

TheSulcata

I believe what you are seeing is just a spot with lack of initial pigment in the new keratin. You see that often with tortoises in captivity and especially ones growing a bit faster and indoors a lot. Even my spotted turtles, known for their jet black shells, will have new growth that comes in that turns into lighter, reddish or yellowish streaks that eventually darkens up in a few years. Redfoots seem to develop much more 'marbeling' again with faster growth and indoors, that you would not see in wild caught specimens. Leopards many times come in with much less pigment commonly and and fewer black in the carapace especially in the first year or so. I've seen it with some of my sulcatas, but those lighter spots, as they grow out, seem to fill in with color.

Ok, they are outside (since 4 days ago) so they just started getting good amounts of UV. Thx for the reply

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok, they are outside (since 4 days ago) so they just started getting good amounts of UV. Thx for the reply
I wouldn't worry about it. Looks normal to me for a fast growing captive. And I don't think it's that UV related. More fast growth and diet. Just the way the pigment in the keratin fills in with new growth.

TheSulcata

I wouldn't worry about it. Looks normal to me for a fast growing captive. And I don't think it's that UV related. More fast growth and diet. Just the way the pigment in the keratin fills in with new growth.
Thx that makes me feel so much better.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thx that makes me feel so much better.
Look at this picture I just saw posted on another thread. It is a leopard tortoise that is growing in quite dark for the most part. But look at how the seams are looking with new growth that is starting to emerge lighter. Looks exactly like your spots you are questioning.

leopard picture.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Look at this picture I just saw posted on another thread. It is a leopard tortoise that is growing in quite dark for the most part. But look at how the seams are looking with new growth that is starting to emerge lighter. Looks exactly like your spots you are questioning.

View attachment 199331
Actually that's a Leopracata and you spoiled the question haha

TheSulcata

I really am not good at guessing species Cmac I thought it was a cherry head red foot tortoise