A fridge for a tortoise...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I researched last year, and didn't get the wine cooler bcz it didn't get cold enough. I went with a beverage fridge with a glass door, and digital temp reading. I was happy with it last year.
@Jodie I'm afraid I don't know the difference between a wine cooler and a beverage fridge? Can you clarify?

With a single six-inch turtle and no need of extra fridge space, I'm looking for something small! I do worry about temperature fluctuations in small units; a digital temp reading sounds reassuring.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
@Jodie I'm afraid I don't know the difference between a wine cooler and a beverage fridge? Can you clarify?

With a single six-inch turtle and no need of extra fridge space, I'm looking for something small! I do worry about temperature fluctuations in small units; a digital temp reading sounds reassuring.
It's specific use is for beverages, not wine. It gets colder and came with different racks is the only difference. It is a smaller unit, like a wine cooler. It is a Frigidaire unit. I like the glass front to be able to look in without opens the door. I put multiple thermometers in to monitor the temps, and there was some fluctuations, but it stayed in an acceptable range. I hibernated 4 Russians, 10 weeks last year. They all did great.

Reactions: Rue

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Wine fridges are made to cool wine and be kept in the house. They have smaller compressors than standard refrigerators designed to cool to 55f where most wine is stored. By specs most state they won't cool beyond 20f below room temperature. That way they are more energy efficient for the intended use

They do make great incubators though!!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yes, wine fridges do make excellent incubators. I converted my old wine fridge into one using a VE thermostat, a VE incubator fan, and a heat panel. I monitor the temp with a temp gun, So far, I've hatched forty seven hatchlings in this thing. It is great.

T.G.