A fridge for a tortoise...

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
This is a two sided issue! :)

I am looking for input and/or brand advice.

I am thinking of brumating Goose when she is old enough (not this winter or possibly even the next).

In the meantime...I have a very small fridge due to the nature of our kitchen. My men have filled it with beer and drinks. I would prefer to use it for food. We have a bit of a war going on...and I am about to explode.

A solution would be to buy another small fridge for drinks.

We already have a tiny wine cooler...but it is very noisy. I am reluctant to subject a tortoise to that for months...but maybe it's not really a worry?

If I get another fridge I will use it for brumation. ..so it will be Goose ' s for those months.

Now I am unsure as to what to get...a small dedicated fridge (no freezer)...or a different wine cooler? Apparently the wine coolers are better for brumation?

Either would suffice for drinks...so the tortoise gets first consideration.

Rue

Canada
Yes...something like that is what I am thinking of...

But what is better? A fridge or a wine cooler? Or does it even really matter?

I may as well get what is best for brumation.

I was also wondering about what size to get...I know they don't need a lot of oxygen...but if the unit is smaller does that become more of a concern?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Nope, but I'm sure it would work. I keep my turtles outside or move them to a tub full of dirt in my garage each year.

Reactions: Rue

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Last time I got something used off Craig's list it went out in 2 weeks. Air Compressor

Rue

Canada
I can certainly look on Kijiji...but in my neck of the woods I doubt I'd get a deal on a good used appliance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never thought about the oxygen issue. You may have something there. A regular-sized refrigerator has a lot more air space. Of course, the tortoise, during hibernation, has very low respirations, so may not need much oxygen.

Rue

Canada
You do open the door on a regular basis for air exchange. ..but I don't want to be in a panic mode about that! Lol...so I would feel better knowing it wasn't an issue. Plus I don't want to be running to the fridge several times a day and slamming doors. ..that doesn't sound like a very relaxing long sleep for the tortoise...

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I know I'm a little late here, but my advice is to use a larger refrigerator, if you have the space. There are many reasons. First off, when my collection was still small, I used a pair of small fridges, one a regular Danby cooler, the other a wine fridge. The problem with the Danby fridge was that it had a freezer attachment inside the door, and with the tortoises' exhalation, the tops of their rubbermaid containers would actually start to ice up and acrew frost over a single night. I was constantly chipping away at this, and it was a ridiculous hassle. Once I got a large fridge, this wasn't a problem. Also, the amount of space in these smaller fridges is terribly little, and as someone who is brumating a fourteen inch marginated, I felt like I was placing the fellow in a coffin, and that morbidity just didn't sit well with me, I have to say. Once I got the larger unit, I was able to use a larger container, so my torts had the ability to turn around inside the container if they so desired (on observing them in the larger space, this doesn't seem to be a big deal, given that a tortoise at the right temperature won't move, but hey, we all have our weird preferences). The larger fridge serves multiple purposes, as a means of storing garden greens during the spring, summer, and fall months, then as a tortoise brumation chamber during the eight weeks that comprise December through February. This actually works out quite perfectly.

Now, as far as the wine fridge goes, I don't know if they are all equal in this respect, but the small one I acquired simply didn't get cold enough. I would drop it down to the lowest setting, and it would sit at fifty five F. Trouble was that I needed to use the fridge, and my folks at the time refused to get me a new one (this was before Craigslist, so it gives you an idea of how long ago this was), so I was able to lower the temperature using ice (which I would make via water from the tap and recycle from a pair of insulated, expandable freezer cups, which I would then place in the bottom of the unit). This brought the temp down to forty five, but it was a constant hassle having to place and replace the damned thing.

Ultimately, the best part of my fridge being a giant is the fact that I get fantastic temperature stability. The whole setup might deviate five degrees over the course of a day, which really can't be beat. If you have the space, I recommend getting a full sized standard fridge. I've seen a lot of them on Craigslist for a hundred bucks around here. In Canada, it might be different, but like I said, you can usually find them fairly cheap.

T.G.

Rue

Canada
Not late at all! :)

That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

Since I have time I want to make sure I am making an informed versus a rushed decision.

Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
get one without a Crisper if possible they dehydrate & will kill a tortoise

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Have you brumated in it?
Don't forget there is no law or rule about brumating your tort ! It's up to you .
Second if your worried about air flow do what I did for my incabater I bought a cheep fish pump ( like $5.00 ) and ran a tube in side to keep fresh air flow .

Rue

Canada
Yes. Bigger or smaller...I would prefer one that is fridge only...with no compartments.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My advice: Get another full sized fridge. If you and the men folk are already fighting for space, you will no doubt fill up the second one too. I can't tell you how happy my wife has been having that second fridge and freezer out in the garage. Newer ones are very efficient and really don't use much power.

And tglazie is right about the wine fridges. They don't get cold enough. I can't get mine below 60. This is fine for me because I'm using it to cool tortoise eggs and break the diapause, and 60 is as low as I need to go for that, but 60 is way too warm for hibernation.

Also, I hibernate babies their first year. Just a short one, but I think its good for them. Some breeders don't like that, so I have agreed to wait a year or two in the past, but its not necessary to wait. Especially if you are using a fridge for consistent cold temps.

Rue

Canada
Yes. And I wouldn't until she's old enough regardless.

Either way...we'll get a drink fridge out of it...lol.

Rue

Canada
Re; Tom. That is good to know...regarding temp in the wine cooler.

We had a full size beer fridge years ago and never used it then (go figure)...and now that space has been reappropriated. I would have to reorganize to find room for a full size again.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I researched last year, and didn't get the wine cooler bcz it didn't get cold enough. I went with a beverage fridge with a glass door, and digital temp reading. I was happy with it last year.