A new friend? LOL

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Went to Cactus Joe’s today, where I have been wanting to get one of these cute ants made of rock and thick wire, and found this adorable scorpion I HAD to get.

I set it in Beans’ enclosure just as a decoration when I gave him some food around 4pm... and I’ve periodically came in to check on him over the past few hours and the first few times he was just munching away but it’s 9pm now and for the past couple hours every time I’ve checked he’s just been staring at it LOL.

He looked completely comfortable, and I checked it’s temperature and it’s around 80F (it’s right outside his basking spot soaking in a bit of the heat) and he’s been going right between the pinchers. It’s so cute and I can’t tell if he’s waiting for it to move or not.

I have been watching him for the past little bit and I picked him up for a second to move something and set him back down and he moved right back to that spot. As I was writing this he hissed and stuck his head in his shell, but left his legs completely out and he hasn’t cared one bit if I’ve pet him at all so I don’t think he’s scared LOL it’s very silly.

Please let me know if any of this sounds like he absolutely hates this guy, but I really think he’s enjoying his new friend. Beans is always so cute in everything that he does but this is something else.. I need to turn his lamp off because it’s late but I can’t help myself he’s being too cute.

Attachments

• DBB3592E-8253-47BB-8A7B-6F359D839928.jpeg
    DBB3592E-8253-47BB-8A7B-6F359D839928.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 46
  • BCB0B013-41D8-4EA1-9842-E1E0BAC80C6C.jpeg
    BCB0B013-41D8-4EA1-9842-E1E0BAC80C6C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 77219DB0-5CB9-47D1-BA4E-E9AB3A99B194.jpeg
    77219DB0-5CB9-47D1-BA4E-E9AB3A99B194.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 1BCA00D1-826C-4BF4-B161-77B9F6B7F4ED.jpeg
    1BCA00D1-826C-4BF4-B161-77B9F6B7F4ED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Russians are notoriously grouchy and they love to fight.
I'm curious if your friend will ignore it as a cage decoration or if he/she will try to flip it over.
Unfortunately if it's the latter. You'll need to remove it.
24/7 stress is very harmful

Las Vegas, NV
I'm curious if your friend will ignore it as a cage decoration or if he/she will try to flip it over.
I've been wondering as much too, I've read a lot on TFO about not keeping Russians in pairs. Last night he actually slept next to the scorpion in his basking spot (lamp off of course) which was pretty abnormal but I haven't had him very long so everything is new. Decorations are more for my sake, so if he tries fighting or interacting more with it I'll definitely take it out, thank you! Perhaps regardless I'll move it from his eating/basking spot but he hasn't seemed particularly anxious... he simply stares sometimes :oops: but no problems so far basking/eating/pooping/urating/etc next to this new guy.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Russians are very grouchy. My guy loves to be left alone, and is very comfortable in his enclosure being alone. It's his absolute comfort zone.
If I take him outside to get some real rays he gets fiesty and angry and will attack the grass by aggressively munching on the grass with this snotty facial expression like he hasn't aten in days.... and then trying to run away. When I place him back in his enclosure he is so happy that he goes nuts then turns his little head behind his body and stares at me like I'm the bad guy and this is where he is meant to be. xD

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Went to Cactus Joe’s today, where I have been wanting to get one of these cute ants made of rock and thick wire, and found this adorable scorpion I HAD to get.

I set it in Beans’ enclosure just as a decoration when I gave him some food around 4pm... and I’ve periodically came in to check on him over the past few hours and the first few times he was just munching away but it’s 9pm now and for the past couple hours every time I’ve checked he’s just been staring at it LOL.

He looked completely comfortable, and I checked it’s temperature and it’s around 80F (it’s right outside his basking spot soaking in a bit of the heat) and he’s been going right between the pinchers. It’s so cute and I can’t tell if he’s waiting for it to move or not.

I have been watching him for the past little bit and I picked him up for a second to move something and set him back down and he moved right back to that spot. As I was writing this he hissed and stuck his head in his shell, but left his legs completely out and he hasn’t cared one bit if I’ve pet him at all so I don’t think he’s scared LOL it’s very silly.

Please let me know if any of this sounds like he absolutely hates this guy, but I really think he’s enjoying his new friend. Beans is always so cute in everything that he does but this is something else.. I need to turn his lamp off because it’s late but I can’t help myself he’s being too cute.
I would just be worried on the scorpion if the hands scratch your torts eyes.

Las Vegas, NV
I would just be worried on the scorpion if the hands scratch your torts eyes.
Oh good point! I’ve taken it out for now, the thought was too spooky LOL I think when I get his outdoor enclosure ready I’ll just set it on top of something he can’t get to, or I’ll try and sand down the hands or cover them with something smoother

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been wondering as much too, I've read a lot on TFO about not keeping Russians in pairs. Last night he actually slept next to the scorpion in his basking spot (lamp off of course) which was pretty abnormal but I haven't had him very long so everything is new. Decorations are more for my sake, so if he tries fighting or interacting more with it I'll definitely take it out, thank you! Perhaps regardless I'll move it from his eating/basking spot but he hasn't seemed particularly anxious... he simply stares sometimes :oops: but no problems so far basking/eating/pooping/urating/etc next to this new guy.
It's likely that that statue retains heat from the lamp. And that is the attraction.