A question on humidity

Ish

5 Year Member
How important is humidity in regards to a tortoise's health? All the research that I've done has suggested that some tortoises like dry heat but require humidity for healthy shell growth, while some require more humidity (ex. red-foots). But from what I've seen on this forum, people are so worried that it seems they're making greenhouses with 80-90% humidity regardless of the tortoise species. Can someone clarify which is right?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Humidity is extremely important for torts; like warmth. :)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and the Enclosures Section.

Where do you live and what's the climate like back there? If it's dry please give your tort daily soaks in warm water and spray his/her enclosure with water daily. (I do so as I live in Jordan where the climate is a very dry one, Winter and Summer alike).:(

Any pics of your tort and his/her enclosure would help in giving you advise.;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum.:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You must be reading mostly outside this forum. Old info will not be good for a tortoise. We don't give lots of humidity because we want to hurt them. We do it because it's right for them and to help them grow smooth like they were meant to be.
Some torts need more then others and babies more then adults.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoise-keeping has moved forward in the past 10 years, far surpassing the information that is still shown on the 'net. People post info and tortoise care but never go back and correct their old, outdated info. What we tell you about humidity and moisture here on the forum is fairly new, but proven information.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All the research that I've done has suggested that some tortoises like dry heat...

You've been reading old, outdated, incorrect info. There is a lot of it out there and you are not alone.

Most tropical species of tortoises hatch during the hot, rainy, humid, monsoon season. Tortoises that have been referred to as "desert" species for many years are not. Many come from grassland and forrest edge areas. Our typical tortoise set up of years past was MUCH too dry and desiccating. Unnaturally so. Many members of this forum have been pioneering new and better techniques for raising tortoises and we share our results. Many side by side experiments have been done, and while we are all still learning, we've made much progress.