Accidentally ran over tortoise. Need help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Water turtles can't swallow food unless they are in the water. They eat mainly bugs, worms and water plants. Test the temperature of the water. It should be on the cool side. Then drop some worms into the water and watch them go to town!

It's really not good for them to be spending so much time out of the water. They eventually dry up inside and are then unable to submerge. They need either a pond or a very large tub with water deep enough for them to swim. Then they need a landing dock where they can climb out of the water and sit in the sun.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My friend bought a kiddie pool for her turtle and dug a hole so the pool opening is level with the ground. She then put some rocks in the pool as a ramp so the turtle could go out or in.

it's a cheap solution if you would like to try

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My friend bought a kiddie pool for her turtle and dug a hole so the pool opening is level with the ground. She then put some rocks in the pool as a ramp so the turtle could go out or in.

it's a cheap solution if you would like to try

This is a great suggestion.

Then you can encircle the whole thing with some cinderblocks stacked two or three high, leaving a large land area too, and you won't ever run them over with your car again.

Make sure your "pond" has lots of shade most of the day too.

Krunal Rindani

I can't thank you'll enough. I am considering making them a pond (But I plan to use a plastic tub). If anyone could give me some ideas like crimson_lotus, it'd be great. I will keep them in an area which is sealed by a grill which they can pass through as my many cats roam around my house. The area is a bit small, but when they go out of the grill, they can roam around in an area which contains a lot green plants. Will a plastic bath tub (The small one) be enough for them? I am still thinking on how to make a deck so that they can climb up as Yvonne said. Tom, are you sure about the shade? They keep on staring at the sun most of the time it seems! Thanks again all of you :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unless you live somewhere cold all the time, then yes, you need shade. Otherwise the whole pond will overheat and they will have no way to cool off.

Krunal Rindani

I'm sorry I can't post my turtles' pictures :( My PC won't recognize my phone. Is there any way to solve that problem? I tried Samsung Kies and every other way, but it just doesn't happen. I know this isn't a tech forum, but I just want to post some pictures. Again, I'm sorry I couldn't post them. I am really sorry. I will post them as soon as my phone is recognized by my PC. Thanks a lot guys :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm sorry I can't post my turtles' pictures :( My PC won't recognize my phone. Is there any way to solve that problem? I tried Samsung Kies and every other way, but it just doesn't happen. I know this isn't a tech forum, but I just want to post some pictures. Again, I'm sorry I couldn't post them. I am really sorry. I will post them as soon as my phone is recognized by my PC. Thanks a lot guys :)
Is your phone a smart one? Download the tortoise forum app then :)

Krunal Rindani

Is your phone a smart one? Download the tortoise forum app then :)
I do have a smartphone. However, my phone is about 2.5 years old, and so it's not capable of uploading pictures so easily. I will, however, try doing that. Hopefully, things will work out :) Thanks :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I do have a smartphone. However, my phone is about 2.5 years old, and so it's not capable of uploading pictures so easily. I will, however, try doing that. Hopefully, things will work out :) Thanks :D
Your welcome :D