Adult Greek (ibera) price?

Near_Vana

Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm not sure where else I can turn for opinions.

Last year, I purchased two baby Greeks from a highly-regarded breeder in my region. They are both doing fantasically and growing up nicely. I stayed in contact with the breeder to give him updates on them every once in a while, and he gives us updates on his breeding pairs and the clutches.

Today, I recieved a message from him asking if I'd be interested in any of his adult Torts after the easter holidays. He is retiring and wants to travel the world with his wife for a while. Of course, the first to pop into my mind was the mother who produced our two little yearlings, so I asked about her.

She is an ibera, estimated to be around 40-50 years old, but she is wild-caught so who knows. She has produced many clutches over the last 27 years according to the breeder, and is in very good health. I have seen photos of her before and she's a beauty. Rather large for a Greek at approximately 11", weighing 6.6kg. She has some very minor shell damage along her spinal scutes, almost as though the keratin has been scuffed away but it has been fully healed for a long time.

The breeder is looking to get £500 for her and stated that he would also give us an incubator if we happened to be interested. Being unfamiliar with sales, I don't know if this considered a good price. What do you guys think?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm not sure where else I can turn for opinions.

Last year, I purchased two baby Greeks from a highly-regarded breeder in my region. They are both doing fantasically and growing up nicely. I stayed in contact with the breeder to give him updates on them every once in a while, and he gives us updates on his breeding pairs and the clutches.

Today, I recieved a message from him asking if I'd be interested in any of his adult Torts after the easter holidays. He is retiring and wants to travel the world with his wife for a while. Of course, the first to pop into my mind was the mother who produced our two little yearlings, so I asked about her.

She is an ibera, estimated to be around 40-50 years old, but she is wild-caught so who knows. She has produced many clutches over the last 27 years according to the breeder, and is in very good health. I have seen photos of her before and she's a beauty. Rather large for a Greek at approximately 11", weighing 6.6kg. She has some very minor shell damage along her spinal scutes, almost as though the keratin has been scuffed away but it has been fully healed for a long time.

The breeder is looking to get £500 for her and stated that he would also give us an incubator if we happened to be interested. Being unfamiliar with sales, I don't know if this considered a good price. What do you guys think?
Not sure how US sale prices compare to UK sale prices for any species. That price you stated equates to $617.25 in USD. I think about 400 pounds ($500 USD) would be more in line here in the US, but if you really want her, then I'd say to just go for it. Alternatively, you could offer 400 pounds and see what he says, but then you run the risk of losing out when/if another buyer just agrees to his 500 pound price.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Up till a year or so ago, I did a bit of trade with folks in the UK and you guys typically pay, before VAT's, approx 15-20% premium over a US value. My realm was motorcycle parts but it seems to be the same across the board.

That said, I have no idea of the value of the turtle.....but it looks like a no brainer to me for something that isn't at every pet shop. As my friends over there say "I'd be chuff'ed"!

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Near_Vana

Kent, UK
Up till a year or so ago, I did a bit of trade with folks in the UK and you guys typically pay, before VAT's, approx 15-20% premium over a US value. My realm was motorcycle parts but it seems to be the same across the board.

That said, I have no idea of the value of the turtle.....but it looks like a no brainer to me for something that isn't at every pet shop. As my friends over there say "I'd be chuff'ed"!

Yep, that sounds very accurate in my opinion. Years back, people here would often seek out things to buy from the US to have imported over because even with fees and shipping, you'd still be paying less than prices over here. Can't be done anymore though as shipping is insane now.

Very true haha! I've pretty much made my mind up to take her and have since been setting her enclosure up. She has a 6.5x3ftft wardrobe being converted, finished sealing it today so tomorrow will be spent varnishing it.

Thanks!

Near_Vana

Kent, UK
Not sure how US sale prices compare to UK sale prices for any species. That price you stated equates to $617.25 in USD. I think about 400 pounds ($500 USD) would be more in line here in the US, but if you really want her, then I'd say to just go for it. Alternatively, you could offer 400 pounds and see what he says, but then you run the risk of losing out when/if another buyer just agrees to his 500 pound price.
We usually pay a fair bit more than you guys. Anywhere from 10-25% more on average I'd say, but I see what you're saying. I'm probably going to end up asking if he would drop the price by £50 and I'll also turn down the incubator as I already have access to some at work that I can bring home. Thanks for the reply. :)

LJL1982

UK
Hey all,

Significantly overpriced I would say. I would take a look at preloved for a rough idea although some have no idea.

The level of rehoming in the UK particularly of older tortoises who have failed to hibernate in warm winters and have needed indoor heat and light with our increased energy costs mean I'm being offered them on almost weekly if not monthly basis for free rehoming.

Those actually requesting a rehome fee generally are asking no more than around £250.

If its healthy and you have capacity to take an adult and want to pay when you could rehome very easily for free another greek ibera then go ahead, but also consider your capacity to keep multiple iberas. Tortoises are highly territorial and solitary animals. Iberas in particular do not do well together and often suffer from stress leading to illness or death when kept together over the age of 2 or at a push 3, and generally need separate enclosures after they reach juvenile stage.

At 4 an adult ibera should be in an enclosure size of at least 4ft x 8ft, and is still likely to become frustrated.

If you take on an older female you will need to consider what you will do with her across winter if she fails to hibernate and whether you have scope to heat a shed or can turn over a spare room to her are on top of your other two which will soon need separate enclosures.

I would question the decency or knowledge of any breeder that would sell two tortoises together. I would further question someone who opts into breeding a long living species to decide to up and travel the world. To then decide to ask for a rehoming fee of £500? Sounds fairly ridiculous to me.

If you genuinely want to find an adult and have the capacity to do so I can put you in touch with several organisations who can do with no charge.

LJL1982

UK
Yep, that sounds very accurate in my opinion. Years back, people here would often seek out things to buy from the US to have imported over because even with fees and shipping, you'd still be paying less than prices over here. Can't be done anymore though as shipping is insane now.

Very true haha! I've pretty much made my mind up to take her and have since been setting her enclosure up. She has a 6.5x3ftft wardrobe being converted, finished sealing it today so tomorrow will be spent varnishing it.

Thanks!
I'm afraid it's completely inaccurate with regards to adult iberas which were imported to the UK in their hundreds of thousands in the 70's and with high levels of rehoming can be found for free rehoming everywhere. Iberas particularly as they were the only species imported in huge numbers of that population.

LJL1982

UK

Hey all,

Sorry, just to add the weight of 6.6kg would not be possible unless the tortoise was exceptionally overweight, was incredibly eggbound, or was suffering from an enormous kidney stone. I would double check if either weight or SCL (shell carapace length) was wrong. 11 inches isn't large for a female ibera at all.

I think you will find that a 6ft x 3ft bookcase will a.) Drive her mad, b.) Drive you mad from her clonking repeatedly round it and c.) Not be deep enough and she will constantly pull her self up in corners and tip herself upside down. She needs sides that are at least 1.5 x her length. Ibera adults are superb climbers and very active when heated properly. In the wild they walk miles and she will try to do the same.

If you can post a picture of her it might help us see if her shell damage looks OK.

LJL1982

UK
Hey all,

Norfolk tortoise club have several adult female greek spur thighs too.

Several spurthighed adults >25 years here needing rehoming, some female, for free just on these sites. It's honestly a drop in the ocean.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey all,

Can you post some pictures of the mother tortoise you are thinking of buying?

Near_Vana

Kent, UK
Significantly overpriced I would say. I would take a look at preloved for a rough idea although some have no idea.

The level of rehoming in the UK particularly of older tortoises who have failed to hibernate in warm winters and have needed indoor heat and light with our increased energy costs mean I'm being offered them on almost weekly if not monthly basis for free rehoming.

Those actually requesting a rehome fee generally are asking no more than around £250.

If its healthy and you have capacity to take an adult and want to pay when you could rehome very easily for free another greek ibera then go ahead, but also consider your capacity to keep multiple iberas. Tortoises are highly territorial and solitary animals. Iberas in particular do not do well together and often suffer from stress leading to illness or death when kept together over the age of 2 or at a push 3, and generally need separate enclosures after they reach juvenile stage.

At 4 an adult ibera should be in an enclosure size of at least 4ft x 8ft, and is still likely to become frustrated.

If you take on an older female you will need to consider what you will do with her across winter if she fails to hibernate and whether you have scope to heat a shed or can turn over a spare room to her are on top of your other two which will soon need separate enclosures.

I would question the decency or knowledge of any breeder that would sell two tortoises together. I would further question someone who opts into breeding a long living species to decide to up and travel the world. To then decide to ask for a rehoming fee of £500? Sounds fairly ridiculous to me.

If you genuinely want to find an adult and have the capacity to do so I can put you in touch with several organisations who can do with no charge.
Housing isn't an issue, nor is space. They're kept in their own enclosures, not together, and only interact momentarily when supervised. I don't mean to be rude, but you're coming across as pretty presumptuous with this... I mean, I said I wasn't familiar with pricing, not care, knowledge or requirements. I'm fully aware of everything they need. I spent 3 and a half years just researching alone before even thinking about buying any Tortoise at all. I grow all of their food myself in my garden and have even gone as far as tailoring their diets to the seasons and based on faecal matter studies.

Also, you'd question anyone who sells multiple tortoises?.. That statement is rather ridiculous to me. I've given you no background or information about the breeder, yet you suspect him of what, being irresponsible? If you must know, he visited my house prior to selling me anything at all so he could see that they had adequate set ups, enough space and a safe environment for himself. I initially only intended on getting one, but after seeing the lengths I have gone to in order to provide them with the living space and knowing I had a spare enclosure at work, he offered another. His reason? "I know they will have superb lives with you, probably better than most." So he gave me one for nothing.

After some research over the last few days, I have found £400 is actually a pretty average price range in my region for a large, +40y.o proven breeder that bares large clutches. The cheapest I found anywhere was a 30y.o female Hermanns, proven breeder, who was going for £385, and she was in bad shape. Overgrown beak, pyramiding, etc.

So, because you wouldn't decide to experience something new and exciting after 35 years, no one else can? Mate, I'm sorry, but that's such a stupid thing to say. People are entitled to have a change of heart, especially in their later years. Like, the guy is beginning to have age-related issues with his knees and back, he can't be bending over all the time anymore or lifting heavy loads of substrate. I'm 26, do I love keeping these creatures now? Damn right I do. Just having them wander up to me every morning for a butt-scratch while I drink my tea brings a smile to my face. Does that mean I'll still enjoy it when I'm 68 and having trouble leaning down or kneeling? Just think about it...