Advice on newly accquired 5 yr old Male Horsefield's

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus

turtleboyleo

Aberdeen, UK
Altered the CHE position as suggested Have been fishing him out of his pit the last few days but the lazy little bugger just kept going straight back to bed. Today I've taken a new approach and physically blocked the entrance to his sleeping quarters for a couple hours after fishing him out. This has meant he has had a good couple of hours wandering his enclosure and has gotten properly warm, had a good dose of UVB and has eaten quite a bit as well. I'm minded to carry on doing this to try and 'train' him to be more active. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with this approach? Because I'm running out of ideas.

Attachments

• PXL_20240912_153203591.jpg
    PXL_20240912_153203591.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Altered the CHE position as suggested Have been fishing him out of his pit the last few days but the lazy little bugger just kept going straight back to bed. Today I've taken a new approach and physically blocked the entrance to his sleeping quarters for a couple hours after fishing him out. This has meant he has had a good couple of hours wandering his enclosure and has gotten properly warm, had a good dose of UVB and has eaten quite a bit as well. I'm minded to carry on doing this to try and 'train' him to be more active. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with this approach? Because I'm running out of ideas.
Blocking hide entrance is a not a bad idea. However, constantly walking around is likely stressful (he is searching for a safe place) - put a small box/container or something alike so he can rest a bit and feel safe (you can half-burrow the log ramp, for example). And check if hits the "golden middle" between rushing in panic and constantly hiding.

turtleboyleo

Aberdeen, UK
Blocking hide entrance is a not a bad idea. However, constantly walking around is likely stressful (he is searching for a safe place) - put a small box/container or something alike so he can rest a bit and feel safe (you can half-burrow the log ramp, for example). And check if hits the "golden middle" between rushing in panic and constantly hiding.
He was able to go under that half log thing and he did do that for some of the time. But was also able to walk about and feed and I could feel he was nice and warm. Think I'll continue with this approach for a week or so. It's certainly the most active he's been for a good while. Have just given him a nice soak as a reward and will let him back into his bed now.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
He was able to go under that half log thing and he did do that for some of the time. But was also able to walk about and feed and I could feel he was nice and warm. Think I'll continue with this approach for a week or so. It's certainly the most active he's been for a good while. Have just given him a nice soak as a reward and will let him back into his bed now.
Okay, sounds good so far. Keep us updated!