Age appropiate...

Lindy11

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am thinking of getting a leopard tortoise and have a question regarding closed enclosures. At what age can a leopard tortoise be out of a closed enclosure and in an open table? I tried searching older posts but could find my answer. Thanks in advance.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
IMG_1967.jpg
Leopard torts are the 4th largest torts in the world . They get large and need a lot of outside area to move around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When mine are big enough to go outside to live and there's no longer a fear of a bird carrying it off, that's when they graduate out of the closed enclosure.

Lindy11

California
Thanks Grandpa Turtle 144 and Yvonne G.
I know torts grow at different rates, but what is size would be recommended, 4in?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I know torts grow at different rates, but what is size would be recommended, 4in?

I’m sorry I don’t understand your question:”what is size would be recommended , 4in. “

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
You're very wise to research first so you can everything set up before you get your tort.
Check here before spending too much in pet stores because they are in it for profit and often sell unsafe or unsuitable equipment so members here can help you save a lot of money!!
Do you mean 4 inches for the size of the tort?
That size would be a baby and I think I've read here that they have to be at least that size to sell ( not 100% sure on that though).
I have a leopard who is about 8-9 year old and over a foot long. He has his own room because he's too big for a viv or table.
He lives indoors all year because of the UK climate which is often chilly, even in the summer, but he has an outdoor enclosure he uses on warmer days.
If you get cooler winters you may need a heated shed/night box for when he is big enough but others from California will be able to advise you on that.
They don't hibernate so mine needs heating and lighting all year around but your climate is different.
Have a look at the caresheet for Leopards and Enclosures thread to give you some ideas.

Last edited:

Lindy11

California
I am asking, does a leopard tort have to be 2yrs old, 5yrs old, or older before it does not need to be in an enclosed enclosure. How old can a leopard tort be remove from an enclosed enlcosure to an open room? Thanks again for all the help.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I am asking, does a leopard tort have to be 2yrs old, 5yrs old, or older before it does not need to be in an enclosed enclosure. How old can a leopard tort be remove from an enclosed enlcosure to an open room? Thanks again for all the help.

So the question is how old does the tort have to be before you can let him be cold ( cause floors are the coldest part of the house ) , how big before you want your tort to feel unsafe ( cause a tort feels safe in its oun safe area ) , how big will your tort be before you don’t worry about impact ( cause torts love to taste test everything ( carpet fuss, earring backs , and hair ) maybe it might even bite a electric cord !
Please enjoy your tort but give it a safe enclosure of its oun.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
So the question is how old does the tort have to be before you can let him be cold ( cause floors are the coldest part of the house ) , how big before you want your tort to feel unsafe ( cause a tort feels safe in its oun safe area ) , how big will your tort be before you don’t worry about impact ( cause torts love to taste test everything ( carpet fuss, earring backs , and hair ) maybe it might even bite a electric cord !
Please enjoy your tort but give it a safe enclosure of its oun.
I think he wants to know when he can switch to a less humid tortoise table.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Read #8 he wants to let the tort run a round a room !
Lyn told him her tortoise has his own room so he worded it that way. He wants to know when he no longer needs a humid closed chamber. In his original post, he said open table. I agree they get too big for that but I believe that was his original question. I
could be wrong though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are correct Tricia. My original question was
"At what age does a leopard tortoise not need a humid closed enclosure?" I am sorry for all the confusion. Thanks again.
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If they are still growing, they need that humidity. As they gain size, I leave them outside longer and longer, but I use humid heated night boxes for them once they move outside full time.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I moved my oldest one from his more humid enclosure when he was around 4". My three younger ones weren't moved to the larger, less humid one until more like 5". They have very little pyramiding, and less than my older one, but he also had more when I obtained him at an age of 6 months or so whereas the other three I got when only a month old or so, so that may have just as much to do with it.

Perhaps more importantly than the aesthetics of pyramiding or not, once they are 3.5-4" or so, they are not as easily dehydrated and i believe are a little more tolerant of dryer conditions. My large enclosure is still closed (besides a few little gaps here and there) but larger overall and I add less water to the substrate.