Aldabra enclosures

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you have the money, I don't think it will do harm going to the vet if you refuse unnecessary treatment. At least you will know whether or not this is a vet you would trust in an emergency.
I agree. And it would be good for them to see the tortoise and start a file. They always give you trouble if its an animal they have never seen before, but if the animal has been there once before, its magically perfectly fine to help you out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Don't let the vet give the tortoise any kind of injection, or in fact, any other treatment, especially without explaining what is is and why it is being prescribed. You need to act "dumb" and pretend you know nothing, and ask many questions, to see what the answers are. Usually, this is how you will know if the vet knows anything or if he or she is just using your tortoise as an opportunity to get experience....God forbid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not in Aldabra my friend. Not a few years back anyway. Even Greg wasn't finding them as easy as he found males.
That is not because of the sex ratio at hatching. That is because people tend to keep females and re-home surplus males. Females tend to get along well in groups and it is easy to keep a whole bunch of them. For some species, you can only keep one male per enclosure, with some exceptions, but in general males are more problematic, so people are not inclined to keep them when they already have as many as they need. Females are easy to keep in larger groups and are considered much more valuable, so they are not offered for sale as much as males.

My platynota are a perfect example of this. I bought 14 incubated for "female" hatchings, and ended up with 8.6. I sold off 3 of my surplus males to other breeders that already had females and needed a male, so now I have 5.6. The thought of selling any of my females has never even occurred to me. You can find male platynota for sale regularly. Females are seldom sold unless someone is getting out of the species and selling off their whole collection of them, which almost never happens with the island giants.

I know the people Greg gets his from. They have loads of females and hatch many more every year. I now of several people here in CA that had/have herds of female Galapagos tortoises and have had trouble finding males. Years later I discovered places to get males, but the fact remains, you've seen fewer females because people don't let females go as readily. Same thing with sulcatas. Most of the re-homes we see are males, because females are easy to re-home and can live peacefully in large groups, and females are smaller and less destructive, which makes them easier to just keep.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is not because of the sex ratio at hatching. That is because people tend to keep females and re-home surplus males. Females tend to get along well in groups and it is easy to keep a whole bunch of them. For some species, you can only keep one male per enclosure, with some exceptions, but in general males are more problematic, so people are not inclined to keep them when they already have as many as they need. Females are easy to keep in larger groups and are considered much more valuable, so they are not offered for sale as much as males.

My platynota are a perfect example of this. I bought 14 incubated for "female" hatchings, and ended up with 8.6. I sold off 3 of my surplus males to other breeders that already had females and needed a male, so now I have 5.6. The thought of selling any of my females has never even occurred to me. You can find male platynota for sale regularly. Females are seldom sold unless someone is getting out of the species and selling off their whole collection of them, which almost never happens with the island giants.

I know the people Greg gets his from. They have loads of females and hatch many more every year. I now of several people here in CA that had/have herds of female Galapagos tortoises and have had trouble finding males. Years later I discovered places to get males, but the fact remains, you've seen fewer females because people don't let females go as readily. Same thing with sulcatas. Most of the re-homes we see are males, because females are easy to re-home and can live peacefully in large groups, and females are smaller and less destructive, which makes them easier to just keep.
Wow, when did you start knowing anything about Aldabras? Just a few years ago, you admittedly knew nothing about them. Lol
Whatever.

incognet

Arkansas
Everything sounds great so far. I would not push tortoise to soak in the enclosure if it doesn't want to - Olive drinks on her own and, probably, soaks for several minutes and it's great. You can pour lukewarm water in the dish and see if she will take a longer bath.

If you are concerned about opuntia spines - you can remove them with knife. Also, cutting a pad in thin slices usually provokes them to eat it (smaller tortoises can't take a bite of older pads).
I was reluctant to handle Olive before she was fully acclimated to new habitat. Like most young Aldabras, she's rather timid. Other family members have seen her in water dish, but couldn't say how long she lingered there.

Based on feedback here, I think we're going to begin soaking her (in tub of warm h20) every other day. I'm also going to find spineless opuntia pads.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Off topic in this thread but males for most tortoise species are certainly less valuable and harder to sell. This is not the case for Aldabras and Galapagos and they are a significant exception to this. Plenty of reasons for it.
1. There are probably less of them hatched due to incubation techniques.
2. They are more aggressive and more likely to flip each other and die from that.
3. They are more likely to flip or die of injury during breeding attempts.
4. Continuing on the death theme, it takes 20, probably closer to 30 years for them to get large enough to breed, and experienced enough to "catch their bus" as friend that Tom and I have likes to say. That is a long time to keep a tortoise alive for.
5. You can keep a tortoise alive for 20-30 years but if someone/somewhere along the line gave it a terrible diet or some other husbandry issue occurred you wind up with a sterile animal, or an animal that is too fat or unhealthy to breed.

So, breeding age, fertile proven males for both species are rare and unlikely to be sold. I have seen ads for Aldabras that specifically state the male is not available for sale separately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, when did you start knowing anything about Aldabras? Just a few years ago, you admittedly knew nothing about them. Lol
Whatever.
I've been working with other people's Aldabras for decades Barb. I don't keep them because my climate really isn't suitable for them, but as I met and spent time with you in Chicago, I meet up with other tortoise friends around the country when the opportunity presents itself. I've met several people in Florida who deal with this species, and its a big world out there. There is a lot more to this species than the one person who posts here.

So no, I do not have first hand experience hatching and raising aldabras myself, but they are a species of interest to me, I study them, and I learn and ask questions from the people who do keep and know them. I've met people who hatch dozens of them, and I met one person whose operation and facility hatches literally 100's of them every year. Several hundred. At the time of my visit they had 676 eggs in hand, and expected to have a 1000 by the end of that laying season. I have pictures, but promised to not post them publicly, or any details about the facility or location. Prior to a few years ago, I had no idea that places like this existed. They do, and I've been to some of them now. Greg by the way, declined when I asked to come visit. I'm not mad. I totally understand. I just don't know if you understand that there are a lot of Aldabra keepers around the world, tons of them in Florida, and while Greg and his tortoises are super cool, he is not the only source of information and experience with this species.

@incognet Sorry for taking the discussion in your thread in a different direction. Suffice to say that I don't agree with Wellington's assessment that your baby is likely male. I hope this discussion about why I think that might add value to your thread. Your baby might be a male. That is possible, but I don't know of any reason to conclude that this early on. I hope you and your lovely tortoise have many happy decades together.

incognet

Arkansas
Don't let the vet give the tortoise any kind of injection, or in fact, any other treatment, especially without explaining what is is and why it is being prescribed. You need to act "dumb" and pretend you know nothing, and ask many questions, to see what the answers are. Usually, this is how you will know if the vet knows anything or if he or she is just using your tortoise as an opportunity to get experience....God forbid.
Most definitely not... I've seen enough horror stories about "vitamin injections" on this forum! We'll ask many, many questions when the time comes.

Our herps-vet is pretty knowledgeable, but turtles/torts are not the majority of her patients. We'd have to visit state capital (Little Rock), or another metro for specialized veterinary care. I'd do this for any serious issues.