Algae cide

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It there a safe algae cide to add to turtle ponds? I having problems with green water in my snappers pond . Making me crazy . I have a sand filter I can add to it if I have to .

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
No idea, but I think all algaecide is harmful. Add a UVC filter, it will help kill algae for sure and sand filter is mechanical filter, it won't work on algae.
I wonder how much ammonia in your water. It looks like your water not cycled well to have that green algae.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always (at least once a year) used over the counter algaecide for my pond and I have quite a few turtles in there. I've never had a fish or turtle die-off.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have always (at least once a year) used over the counter algaecide for my pond and I have quite a few turtles in there. I've never had a fish or turtle die-off.
Do you know the name of it Yvonne?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. I usually use up the bottle and toss it. It may have been Tetra or Tetra Pond or something like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I shop for animal stuff at Petsmart, but I also do a lot of shopping at Orchard Supply Hardware.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Get a uv clarifier and add it to the line, it will be the best money you ever spent. Water will always be crystal clear. Never will see green water again.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome! I have a 1200 gallon tank so how big will I need to go?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Of course, the level of toxicity is not enough apparently if you use correctly against fish or turtle. But all algaecide usually have harmful effect to living cells and can be irritant to fish or turtle. Of course it won't kill them, but I would rather not use it.
On the other hand, there is so called green algaecide, that might work for turtle pond, but won't justify the cost compares to using UVC filter to remove algae forever...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well its cold here at night . So I can't change out the water unless I bring them in . I don't want to bring them in . So I'm going to buy a uv system for my pond . 150 bucks now will save me in food and heating as they sleep the winter away.