Aloe baths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland
Hello there. I have a young Egyptian and I do soaks daily or twice a day when it is hot out. I was recommended to keep the tank low in humidity, but do lots of soaks. He is healthy and active. He eats very well, but I know that not enough hydration can be an issue for desert torts. I do think his skin is still a bit dry-- he stains from the dark greens really easily. He really burrows into his terra cotta hide and I think it zapps some of the moisture on his face. His shell looks great.

I was throwing around the idea of doing a soak of warm water with some aloe juice (just watered and pulped aloe that is meant for human drinking). I think that this would be good internally and externally. Has anyone ever done this? I would do this only once in a while and do it after a soak where he does his morning business.

Any other suggestions for keeping him hydrated? He has no symptoms of dehydration, but I am having a difficult time actually seeing urates being passed. I just think this could help avoid any issues for the future. Just FYI I used oyster shell and a touch of cocofiber for substrate. I keep his temps with the low side mid 70s to his warm with mid/high 80's with some variation due to outdoor temp changes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I can't imagine that would do any harm...as aloe is consumed as well as used as a topical ..... ? I would really be interested in if you find it adds moisture to the dryer skin days? :cool:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't see a benefit from it but neither do I see it harming him, but if you are concerned about him staying hydrated do you provide drinking water access to him?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hey....wonder if using pure aloe as a rub would offer that moisture affect we get from lotions? hmmmm :)

nicolek

5 Year Member
Portland
Thanks. It does have me wonder if there could be any positives from it. Right now he is still a bit too wobbly to have a dish in his tank for water. I do use big leaves throughout the day filled with water, but it only works so well. He drinks just fine in his baths. I do give him freshly dampened greens to graze on all of the time. I think he is fine.. just looking for a way to be proactive (neurotic). DMMJ- is that a shih-tzu icon I see? (Maybe a Lhasa alpso). I have shih-tzus. Great dogs. I will give him a permanent water supply once I feel that the risk of hatchling drowning has passed a bit. I could install a nanny cam--- just kidding.

Ascott- I think I might just try it because it could't do much harm. I might also try smashing up some aloe for him to eat and by the nature of it he will get it all over his front. I am licensed in human skin care so I can not help but think some benefits of aloe could transfer over. The worst that could happen is not much of an outcome.

I really like having people to bounce ideas and worries off of.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
ascott said:
hey....wonder if using pure aloe as a rub would offer that moisture affect we get from lotions? hmmmm :)

I was just wondering the same thing, I may try it as a shel conditioner on Boulder once in a while.... :cool:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
nicolek said:
Thanks. It does have me wonder if there could be any positives from it. Right now he is still a bit too wobbly to have a dish in his tank for water. I do use big leaves throughout the day filled with water, but it only works so well. He drinks just fine in his baths. I do give him freshly dampened greens to graze on all of the time. I think he is fine.. just looking for a way to be proactive (neurotic). DMMJ- is that a shih-tzu icon I see? (Maybe a Lhasa alpso). I have shih-tzus. Great dogs. I will give him a permanent water supply once I feel that the risk of hatchling drowning has passed a bit. I could install a nanny cam--- just kidding.
I really like having people to bounce ideas and worries off of.
he is a shih tzu and lhasa mix, he is a good dog, great guard dog. One other way I help keep them hydrated besides a water bowl, is I wet down their food with a spray bottle when I feed them, so they get water when they eat also.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You raise some interesting questions and I agree with all of the above. When it is time, terra cotta plant saucers have worked very well for my hatchling leopards, CDTs, and sulcatas. They ranged from 21 to 35 grams and they have a saucer of water from the day they hatch. I bury it so that it is flush with the substrate.

Here's something I've been wondering about lately: For 20 years I listened to everyone say all that "dry" stuff about sulcatas and leopards too. It's totally wrong in the case of those two species and CDTs too. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to keep an Egyptian with some humidity, warmth and a humid hide box. I am NOT advocating this as I don't have any idea if it would harm them or not, but I wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.