Am I taking good care of my sulcatas?

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Is it ok if I buy some tortoise food online for the older one? And maybe some baby tortoise food for the young one?

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
There are a couple tortoise feeds you can feed as part of a larger diet that includes weeds and the like.

Jaid10

USA
The only thing is that in my yard we have people spray are yard with pesticides, though they haven’t come for around a year.

Jaid10

USA
I just realized you live in Sacremento. My grandma lives there.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Hmm I don't know enough about pesticides to tell you if a year is long enough. But I would try to get your parents to stop letting them spray because that is your torts future playground.

Jaid10

USA
Hmm I don't know enough about pesticides to tell you if a year is long enough. But I would try to get your parents to stop letting them spray because that is your torts future playground.
Alright I’ll look into it.

Jaid10

USA
Thank goodness I have a big yard. Would a dog run work?

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
It would probably bulldoze it if it can see though it and unlikely as that sounds. The truth is that your tort is going to want all the room you have and more.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
These could work you would just need to fix it up a bit. Border up the parts where there is wire. Put some insulation in and fix the roof. Then place it near to where you can connect an electical heater to a plug. Put some insulation between the boards and run the heater inside. Then clean the inside and put new coco coir or fine orchard bark in / on the floor. Plant some weeds and other plants in and around inside. They can then use that as their hide and then your gsrden for roaming around

Jaid10

USA
I’m a little worried about my little one. Her face and neck look reddish. Idk I could be worrying too much and it could just be dirt. Here’s a pic.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
They are dirty little buggers.

When I first started using coco coir it made my guy a bit dirty (I think people don't like it because of that, but also harmless from what I have heard.) Is that what you are using?

hydration, heat and humidity are usually the solution if there actually is a problem. (Someone correct me if I am wrong please :))

And try not to worry too much and remember that you are already doing what you can! :<3::tort:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I’ve been a pet owner for a while.right now is the least amount of pets I’ve had since I was 5 or 6. I have to take care of them on my own because my whole fam hates animals. I have two tortoises, and two dogs. One of which is a puppy.
I don't understand people who hate animals, especially puppies!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I’ve heard. About 150 lbs right?
Some can. Mine is 19 years old and about 100 pounds, but I don't have a scale so I could be wrong about his weight.
Eventually the bigger one should live outside full time. If you have a heated barn or shed for him, he can stay outside all year, but he needs to be able to be kept at 80 F in his house. And you would have to make sure he doesn't stay outside in the cold too long.

Jaid10

USA
It’s funny
I don't understand people who hate animals, especially puppies!
yeah. My mom doesn’t really hate them she just doesn’t like them. I have a one year old brother (who is a handful), and I somehow convinced her and my dad to get me a puppy. After everyone figuredout she’s also a handful, I was pretty much on my own to raising her. I guess the fam will help here and there but it’s mainly me.

Jaid10

USA
They are dirty little buggers.

When I first started using coco coir it made my guy a bit dirty (I think people don't like it because of that, but also harmless from what I have heard.) Is that what you are using?

hydration, heat and humidity are usually the solution if there actually is a problem. (Someone correct me if I am wrong please :))

And try not to worry too much and remember that you are already doing what you can! :<3::tort:
So nothing to worry about? I’ve worked on keeping the cage humid.