AMERICA/UK & OTHERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
On the forum & the 9/11 I have just realised that americans write their dates different to us

America - month/day/year
UK - day/month/year

Also with spain and france, they say a jumper green, as we say a green jumper!

Does anybody else know any different things in different places, if you get what i mean?

xxxx

S

stells

Jelly and jam... biscuits and cookies.... American dropping U's out of words such as colour... chips and crisps... fries and chips lol there are loads and i always have a good giggle with Danny about them... I did however find myself using words such as neat on his latest visit to the UK.... SCAREY

S

stells

The left side is the right side... the right side is the wrong side lol

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am embarking on a personal crusade to replace "awesome" with "brilliant" in my own vocabulary, as a better casual-to-moderate compliment for my students. Also, I am converting masses of American schoolchildren to the real "football" and Liverpool!

There are so many words that differ in English vs American: "queue" for "line", "nick" for "steal", "half seven" for "seven-thirty", "toilets" instead of "bathrooms", "lifts" instead of "elevators", "flats" instead of "apartments", "bedsitters" for "houses", getting things "sorted" instead of "figured out", "Way Out" instead of "Exit". Mostly I prefer the Queen's English to our American dialect because in general English people have a better, more specific vocabulary. Americans make every item or issue a "thing", which is just plain lazy.

However, I hate to say this, but English people, at least those on the ShelledWarrior forums, have become very careless with their spelling. I was shocked at how many common words I've seen misspelled there. I admit I'm a stickler for spelling, probably because I'm a teacher. I know that in today's texting, twittering world spelling has become unimportant to many teenagers and young adults, but I am not complaining about the occasional missing last letter or homonym, but a high frequency of misspelled common words. Tsk, tsk, I have to say. I expected better from the country where our language originated.;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What's a jumper green? and don't you eat blood pudding?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Bangers are sausages, jumper is, I thought, a onesie that babies wear, or maybe a pullover sweater for an adult.

Jumper green merely reflects that the adjective comes after the noun in the Romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian).

No idea about blood pudding!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I heard of this thing called "The Metric System' that the Brits use. It will never catch on, I'm sure.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Well, in South Africa , we call jumpers and sweater's - jerseys :p Nick's mom is British, and his dad grew up in the British Colonial area of SA, so they say "sweater", so Icall a fleecy thing a sweater, and a jersey as a wooly thing haha. South Africa works on the Metric system I think. The thing is Shelly, its not that it would "catch on"., The metric system has been used for hundreds of years in quite a few places other than Britain. Its funny though, most people look at Americans and think your systems are strange etc....which they're not, they're just not normal to those people haha. South Africa has a whole new slang language, most people don't understand us haha

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
As for the metric system in the USA, Think about your $$ & you'll see we've been metrificated* for a long time!
If a dollar is a meter, Then a quarter is 25 centimeters, A dime is 10 centimeters ect. ect.

* Mertficated = Backwoods Cracker slang word meaning that we have been using the metric system for "A long time"!
Most of this slang language was originally used & understood only by Tom McLellan & several other unsavory types.
It is widely thought to have originated with past pres. George Bush Jr..
This is incorrect! He stole some of our words & phrases after a "Hog hunt" in N. Florida!
If any y'all-z needin me ta interpiphy fuyah, Lemeyno!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fairy liquid (dish washing soap), fairy cakes, digestive biscuits, biro (ball point pen) I believe a cookie is a biscuit, but I wonder what exactly is a digestive biscuit?

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
At the American custom, someone already asked me to leave my pocket book in the care and I did not know what is was and he repeated it and my fiance told me that you guys call a purse a purse or a pocket book, here we only use purse.
Yvonne, for Us, Digestive Biscuit is a mint cookie.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
t_mclellan said:
we've been metrificated* for a long time!

That's pretty funny. I had the picture in my mind of someone on Saturday Night Live doing their impression of G. Bush when I read this first line. So we have YOU to credit for that, huh?

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Kelly, I do not know if they are the same kind of biscuit but here we call them social tea :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You forgot the most important Stephanie :p The loo=toilet

Fairy cakes are cupcakes here :)

Nappy=Diaper
There are more just not coming to me right now (jet lag)

Than there is pronunciation. :rolleyes: Plenty of words are spelt the same but pronounced differently
vita min (english) vi ta min (american)
yog urt (english) yo gurt (american)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.