An eastern box turtle is rare find in The Last Green Valley

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I find it interesting that Connecticut combines energy and environmental protection together in one department.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Very interesting article. Years ago, here in New York, my Dad would take me into the woods in Staten Island, and we could collect mushrooms. Sometimes we'd sit under a tree, and be very quiet, and sooner or latter a Box turtle would pass by looking for a worm or some buggie thing. Today I live in Staten Island, and love going for hike's in the woods. There are so many woods around here and ponds, but rarely do we see a box turtle. I't illegal to own them and you have to get a permit, which I renew each year.. It's so sad, when I think of how many we used to see and now you hardly see any. The ponds here are loaded with Eastern Painted's and Red Ear's are in abundance here in all the local ponds. People buy those little babies in the plastic dishes and if they don''t die, and make it to adulthood, they are dumped into the local ponds. There is also a pond here that empties into the bay. Where the pond narrow's out and turns into the bay, the water is brackish and there are many Diamond Backs there sitting on logs. Common Snapping turtles are all over the Island too. They come up out of the ponds in the Spring to nest on people's front lawns. We put screened boxes on top of the nests, and when they hatch in September, we release them into the local pond.
Thank you for sharing that interesting article.