Another coil UVB bulb type question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Before I found out coil bulbs were bad for my tortoise, I ordered this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00361HC9C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This isn't a coil per say, it's four long tubes that have been bent at the ends, the bulbs are relatively straight. I bought this tortoise and everything for her with my own money, and I am unemployed, so I would like to buy the nice mercury blasted bulbs, but just do not have the money.

Would this type of bulb be ok to use until I have the money to buy a good bulb? At the moment all I have is the heat light on until the fixture for the uvb gets here, since the one I was given wasn't able to take the wattage needed.

I would see this bulb as the lesser of two evils, of the extreamly coiled bulb or the one I have. I DO want to buy a regular bulb, but are there any just UVB lights that aren't coiled or long or self blasted? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks for your time :)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If you are going to use it temporarily, it needs to be mounted horizontally, and not inside a dome vertically like traditional bulbs. I would personally run the bulb for a few days before putting it over the tortoises enclosure also and 'burn' the bulb in.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you are concerned about it, don't use it. If you do use it, just follow the instructions (including a burn in period if recommended) and watch your animal for any changes in behavior. Things you should be doing anytime you switch to a new bulb, regardless of which type it is. There are a number of people on the forum that have used and continue to use these lamps.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Just return the item. All coiled bulbs and U bend shaped UVB bulbs are bad for reptiles. If you can't afford it I rather you not use a cheaper and more dangerous type of UVB bulb thinking it would be "just as good." You can easily spend one or two hours a day outside with your tortoise to replace the need for a UVB bulb.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Minority1 said:
Just return the item. All coiled bulbs and U bend shaped UVB bulbs are bad for reptiles. If you can't afford it I rather you not use a cheaper and more dangerous type of UVB bulb thinking it would be "just as good." You can easily spend one or two hours a day outside with your tortoise to replace the need for a UVB bulb.

And I do spend time outside with her. But today was rainy and cold and nasty, and I was wondering if the UVB bulb would be appropriate for me to keep on her on those days. During the summer I plan to have my uvb bulb on as little as possible.

theelectraco said:
If you are going to use it temporarily, it needs to be mounted horizontally, and not inside a dome vertically like traditional bulbs. I would personally run the bulb for a few days before putting it over the tortoises enclosure also and 'burn' the bulb in.

Burn the bulb in? Does that mean just leave it on for a few days to get it working well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use any type of compact florescent bulb. Using the other bulb for heat should be fine. If your tortoise gets some sunshine just a couple of time a week, you won't need any artificial indoor UV. They can also go a few weeks over winter with no UV as long as they are getting lots of sun the rest of the time.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
jaizei said:
If you are concerned about it, don't use it. If you do use it, just follow the instructions (including a burn in period if recommended) and watch your animal for any changes in behavior. Things you should be doing anytime you switch to a new bulb, regardless of which type it is. There are a number of people on the forum that have used and continue to use these lamps.

I am concerned because so many people have said coil uvb lights are bad. And I understand why, it's just, today was nasty, rainy and cold. GA weather is Bi polar. I plan on taking her outside every day for at a min of an hour, to help fulfil her UVB needs, because I want her and be both out in the natural light as much as possible. But I was just wondering if I could use this bulb on days like today where taking my tort outside is not an option.

I was planning on watching her behavior. She just got here yesterday, so as it is I'm leaving her be except to offer food and soak so she can become used to her environment. I don't want to screw her over with a bad bulb. I ordered the pack before I saw that the coils were bad for torts. I knew she needed uvb and heat, so I saw the pack and ordered it. I do plan to get the better light bulb she needs in the future, I just need to be prepared for now.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I would think 2 1/2 hrs of regular old sun shine per week would give you all the uv your tortoise requires. This would be approximately 20 minutes a day of uv that i think is the MINIMUM a tortoise requires. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and winters are overcast and rainy, not suited for an African tortoise outdoors. During those times, I use MVB's exclusively for basking and uv assimilation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't need UV all day every day. Just a couple times a week outside is enough to meet their UV needs. More is better. Daily is great. But if you have to skip a day or two once in a while its no big deal. If you have to skip two weeks, its no big deal. Just get the, in the sunshine with some degree of regularity and they will never get MBD, which is why we want them in the sun to begin with.

Those cfl bulbs are not worth the risk in my opinion. Even if you live in Antarctica and your tortoise would NEVER see the sun, I would tell you not to use that bulb. If it blinds her permanently, which CAN happen, it will not have been worth it. UV is not that big of a deal. As long as they get SOME sun once in a while you don't need any artificial UV. If you are in Northern Canada and the ground is frozen for 9 months a year, then you need MVBs or tube style fluorescents, in my opinion.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Tom said:
They don't need UV all day every day. Just a couple times a week outside is enough to meet their UV needs. More is better. Daily is great. But if you have to skip a day or two once in a while its no big deal. If you have to skip two weeks, its no big deal. Just get the, in the sunshine with some degree of regularity and they will never get MBD, which is why we want them in the sun to begin with.

Those cfl bulbs are not worth the risk in my opinion. Even if you live in Antarctica and your tortoise would NEVER see the sun, I would tell you not to use that bulb. If it blinds her permanently, which CAN happen, it will not have been worth it. UV is not that big of a deal. As long as they get SOME sun once in a while you don't need any artificial UV. If you are in Northern Canada and the ground is frozen for 9 months a year, then you need MVBs or tube style fluorescents, in my opinion.

Ok I see what you mean. I was planning on not using my uvb bulb at all this summer, since Im graduation soon and will be home to take her out. If I gave her a few days to settle in, it won't hurt if she doesn't get outside? She is very shy and I don't want to stress her out too much but I thought she needed to go outside for a few min every day, that's what was stressing me out. So if I gave her a week to just settle, she would be fine?

I'd rather not blind my girl, so I see what you mean.
Thank you. I just hope she eats soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.